Non-Penton Desert Monkeys and Vegas to Reno

Started by Larry Perkins, August 21, 2010, 06:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Perkins

This is for those Penton Brothers and Sisters that give us encouragement and support.  We really appreciate you!  Of special mention is Brother Ron Carbaugh and Al Buehner.

Well, Tom Flores and I are sitting in a hotel in Reno Nevada sore as heck.[xx(]  First thing this morning he told me even his hair hurt.  Unfortunately Ric Emmal could not make this race and Tom and I raced and pitted ourselves.  Almost 550 miles and about 15.5 hours after a 6:30am start we rolled into Reno to win 125 Expert and become the first 125 to finish this race in over 5 years.  Following Mr. Penton's example KTM still makes a tough little bike.  That thing screamed all day long and did not miss a beat.

The pitting was a race within itself.  I rode first and Tom drove to our first pit and laid out all the necessities.  He then got himself ready.  When I arrived we did all the gassing chain oiling stuff and Tom took his first ride.  I then put the stuff up, took off my boots, and drove to the next pit stop and repeated the process.  This leap frogging went on all day and a bit into the night.

The race was a typical Casey Folks race in that it had challenges and fun.  My first two sections were a blast with a lot of high speed dirt road and some real fun roller coaster ups and downs.  The rising sun is never fun because of the vision probs it causes but it did not last long.  My last two sections took a toll both physically and mentally.  There were some rock sections that were just littered with a variety of rock that varied from baseball size to basketball size.  They made for a slow steady pounding that took a toll on rear, legs, and back.  I also encountered rocky truck whoops and lots of silt with buried rock. About 350 miles into the race we were caught by the first fire breathing 600 horsepower Trophy trucks and the roar up, blare the horn, and blinding dust game began and went on into the night.

The same sun that blinded me in the early morning came back to haunt me late in the day.  When the shadows get long and vision is impaired mistakes are made and in that scenario on a high speed road I tagged a football size rock and did everything but crash.  There was some serious puckering on that one.[:0]  As the sun got lower and lower I raced it's setting to Tom so he could get the last 76 miles in.  I got it to him about 30 minutes before dark and he rode off into the glare with lights readied for the dark that would come.  His last section was the worst of the rocks and he had to play "Got Caught" with the trucks and buggies besides.  As usual Tom troopered through and brought it in at 9:54 pm.  It was a long day and we were happy to be done.  I told Tom I was reminded of the end of Rocky when Apollo Creed says, "Ain't going to be no rematch", and Rocky replies, "Don't want one".  This was by far the hardest one I have done in a 40 year career playing at this motorcycle game.  For Tom and I both it was one crossed of our personal Bucket Lists.

The Desert Monkeys are now 5-0 with one more left in December when we will try to win our class in the Henderson 250.  We only need to start the race to win The Championship and get the Cool jackets that say we ARE The Best In The Desert.

Larry P

pketchum

Great story Larry.  Congratulations on a fine effort and your race WIN!

Phil
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka

firstturn

Thanks for the update Larry.  I was traveling yesterday and actually heard the race mentioned on ESPN (Radio).  You. Tom and Rick have brought home the GOLD all year and deserve this WIN especially on a small bore bike.  Just to update people Ric had some health issues and was unable to make this race.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

socalmx

Congrats on a hard earned win and finish. The pit logistics for a race like VtoR is tough under normal circumstances but to play leap frog is almost undoable. After winning that Best in the Desert jacket, come on out to AMA D37 and try some of our National Hare and Hounds. I think you would enjoy them. A side note regarding Vegas to Reno is that my brother and two friends entered and finished on a 1973 DKW 125 (leading link version)in the late 90's.

sixdazed

Great Job Brothers!Wish i could have been there too,but as you know things did not work out for me.Still in shock over the events of last week,but we'll continue on.I'm proud of you guys and will see you at Henderson 250 for sure.Congrats!
                                           Ric
p.s. Silver State 300 on tv today @3:30 pm eastern i think,may have to leave work early may be getting sick;)
ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

dkwkid

You should have kept your eyes open-somewhere between Vegas and Reno is fanny pack that has a complete Sachs ignition in it. We carried it as a spare and it fell off on one of my sections.Check your frame-it is cracked down by the engine mount/footpeg area.

Larry Perkins

dkwkid,

Are you thinking our frame is cracked?  If so why?  Maybe I am not following.

Larry P

dkwkid

I,m pulling your leg a bit! But do check it down there-mine broke and my brothers also cracked if I remember(Iam talking about the 72 frame). It is funny how the Old Man never mentioned in ads at the time about just how much welding behind barns went on during the Six-Days. You might get someone to own up to it. I mean, they were built be a bicycle mfg.

rob w

Quotequote:Originally posted by dkwkid

I,m pulling your leg a bit! But do check it down there-mine broke and my brothers also cracked if I remember(Iam talking about the 72 frame). It is funny how the Old Man never mentioned in ads at the time about just how much welding behind barns went on during the Six-Days. You might get someone to own up to it. I mean, they were built be a bicycle mfg.

Yes that's a weak spot, BUT usually not if the engine mounting bolts are tightened properly.

socalmx

FYI, The Hundred's MC National Hare and Hound is in October if you want to get some experience riding a D37 event.

Larry Perkins

I wish it was not so far from home.  I would love to ride the dez every weekend.  But alas I wont be back till the AMA Banquet in Vegas and then in December for the final Best In The Desert race.

Larry P

garrettccovington

I'm sittin here shakin my head in dis-belief.  You guys should get a Iron Man award as well.
That is Awesome!  Congrates.
G

72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

sixdazed

100's MC always lays out a nice challenging course.October should be great weather too-sounds like fun.If all goes well i'll be there,unless it conflicts with the vintage series here in Arizona.Maybe i'll see ya there So Cal!Take Care,
                                                 Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

dkwkid

Were you guys on a modern KTM? I thought you were on a SixDays!

Larry Perkins

No, the 2010 KTM 150XC.  Would like to do a Six Days for the last race but we are having trouble getting Tom to ride it for that.

Larry P