Days Past

Started by firstturn, August 22, 2010, 05:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firstturn

Ad made for Japanese TV.  Especially for Toni Roach!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8nJvgSlSiM&feature=search

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

kenbike

Very cool!  That was a great place to go riding, never have rode in the west.

Doug Bridges

That does bring back memories. Where was this shot? I am guessing Arizona? Some of it looks just like my back yard in Ridgecrest CA. The water crossing looks like it could be Indian Dunes. I would love to ride that terain again. Up here in Washington there is way to much wood in the way ;)

Doug Bridges
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner/FrankenPenton
project
82 XR200R
Doug Bridges
73 Jackpiner
74 Rickman Zundapp
78 Suzuki PE175
82 XR200R

pakala

Ron,
 Neat clip. Thanks!!!
 Doug,
 I thought the same, Indian Dunes for the water crossing. The desert riding area I would say.. top of Cajon pass up the I15 near the 395 exit. Looks like the mountains in the backround by Wightwood,Ca. Closest desert for the Hollywood film crew, time is money. But I bet Steve would have done the shoot for free just to get out and ride! McQueen is Mr.Cool.......
              Paul(socal)

firstturn

Paul & Doug,
  I think Paul is correct until I am told differently.  They actually said a few shots were from Utah?  Oh well I just thought it was cool.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Ron

The area Paul is refering (I-15 & 395), we used to call it "Honda Valley". Probably how it got the name?
Ron

Mick Milakovic

Unbelievable country, great shots, great memories.  I rode out there once in my life and would love to go back.  I wonder how they got the camera agle at 2:16, low at the front wheel looking up?  Thanks Ron!

Mick
Mick

Randy Kirkbride

Dave Mitchell

The crossing does remind me of the Dunes.Was a propmaker for Universal back in the 70's.Used to film there alot.Would take our bikes to work stay after and raise a little caine.Pete Lampuu worked with us and used to join in, what a guy. Tough as nails.
Dave

Lloyd Boland

The water crossing looks like Indian Dunes.  Use to race there Wednesday nights, Friday nights, Saturdays and Sundays.  

A lot of the trails look like the trails up around Bean canyon, and some trails look like the stuff around Ridgecrest, Charlies place and Searle Station.  A lot of the Mojave Desert trails look very much alike and you can just go for miles and miles and miles.

I remember the first and only time I rode on the same track with Steve McQueen.  I was at Indian Dunes in the middle of the week practicing on a 400CZ, and Steve drove up with a new Elsinore.  First time I saw an Elsinore.  I just introduced myself and said hello and looked at this new Jap bike.  I was a little gun-shy.  I wish I would have spent more time talking with him about the bike, as I understand he was a very friendly person, especially around dirt bike people.

The video brings back many good memories.

cubfan1968

Thanks Ron

Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

hotrod392

Thanks Ron, Truly enjoyed that! Had my Elsinore out last weekend and it was a blast racing around the pastures, but I sure miss riding out west...
Shane