Some Unsolicited Sales Advice

Started by Larry Perkins, September 09, 2010, 09:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Perkins

Some of this has been discussed before and some just needs to be said in my opinion.  It is unsolicited advice so if you disagree say so without being personal or skip on by.

If you want to sell something here it would help if you say where it is and how much you want for it.  If it is worth selling the price is worth mentioning.  I forever see people having trouble selling something and they have no price.  Most people will not call or e-mail and our PM does not work here.

Price it realistically and with today's economy that is not always fun but if you want it to sell be real.  It does not matter from the "getting it sold" stand point how long you worked at it or that you have $6000 plus dollars in it if the market only bears $3000 on said item.  You are only fooling yourself, running off potential buyers, and not getting it sold.  You can always keep it and make a livingroom piece or planter if it is a matter of pride and principle but it still will not sell.

Also pretending that you sold a ridiculous priced item is a waste of space, a waste of time, and again only fooling yourself.  This ploy is often done in hopes that someone will step up to the silly price on another or similar item.

Give an accurate description and don't look at the item from a personal stand point.  Descriptions that say, "Mint condition except... rarely go together realistically.  Also if you are giving a 1-10 scale feel out a friend that will be honest with you and realize that in my book a 10 is a museum piece.  If that is not what you mean then say what your 10 is before you give it a 9.5.

Last of all this is America and everyone can do as they please to a certain extent.  I am just trying to give some advice from an angle that will help you "Get It Sold!  Best of Luck!

Larry P

firstturn

Great advice and I would add that location is needed so that in todays world one must add transportation costs to the price of a motorcycle or parts.  And using the scale of 1 to 10 I am not sure the last time I saw a 10?  Tip of the hat to Larry.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Gordon Brennan

Quotequote:Originally posted by firstturn

And using the scale of 1 to 10 I am not sure the last time I saw a 10?  

Closest I have seen would be here, on this forum. The 1980 KTM 420, in photos anyhow, is the closest I've seen to a 10. And, in my opinion, a well thought out and well written ad. A good example of how to advertise a beautiful bike.

joe novak

I had the wonderful opportunity of visiting the AMA Motorcycle Museum in Pickerington, Ohio, this past year when POG had it's monthly meeting.  Yes, that was the weekend which Ohio received a blizzard snow storm.  What I will tell you, is that motorcycles do not need to be a "10" to be in a museum, or enjoyed by enthusiasts.  Many of the bikes in the museum are shown as they existed in years past, and many are all original.  We were fortunate to have Jack Penton give everyone a special tour of the museum, and the basement room with all the out-of-site museum pieces.  What a treat.  joe

Rain Man

Time, money, pride and principle, boy dosen't the truth hurt.[B)]
 Great advice Larry, I can't sell a bike because of those 4 issues.
   My garage sure looks cool though...

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

sachsmx

Quotequote:Closest I have seen would be here, on this forum. The 1980 KTM 420, in photos anyhow, is the closest I've seen to a 10. And, in my opinion, a well thought out and well written ad. A good example of how to advertise a beautiful bike.

Thanks for the praise[:I] as that is my bike. Larry makes many valid points, as usual, and he hit on a lot of my pet peeves about sellers.
I would consider my 420 a 9.5 because there are a few things I had planned to do when purchasing the bike to increase performance. One such thing was I had planned to add a reed valve and the other I had planned to use an '84 42mm fork with DLS front brake. In the 10 years since I purchased the bike my priorities and my health (unfortunately) had changed :(.
The only place were I may take issue with Larry is on price. For me there are those who want to sell and those who need to sell. That will drive the price just as much as market conditions, IMHO. If my bike sells it will pay for a new hot tub to help relieve some of my ahces and pains from arthritis that I have both earned ;) from years of riding and had passed down through heredity.

Larry Perkins

I think your bike is a 10 in my book, but you already know that from our conversations and my desire to be aboard it[:p].  

I agree price is driven somewhat when there is a need or not to sell but often here lately there have been bikes priced much higher than the market will bear.  If they don't sell then as my Grandfather would say they were not worth it at that moment.  His thought was what it brings is what is worth.  He use to say this about something that brought a high price-"It's worth that, they just proved it."

Larry P

jon

I agree the vintage market is very poor.:( I sold a Histroic Class 1977 YZ400D with NEW rims/spokes,New plastic from Austraila thats same as productiuon YZ,New gas tank,powder coated every thing,new motor top/bottom,AVS levers,Race Tech forks,New Works Performance shock the whole nine yards.Over 5K invested and got a little more then half.I didn't need to sell it,but wanted start on other projects. Did I lose money -NO because the bikes I'm going to buy are much cheaper now too!I saw a nice 1981 Mugen ME125 go for $3500,while it wasn't all Mugen but alott was.That bike 5 years ago would have went for 7K plus.All owners think there bikes are many points higher on the 1-10 scale ,but need to get real. For a bike to be a 10 it would have to have New/mint OEM plastic fenders,tank,side panels,ect .My bike was just as nice Sachsmx,with even nicer reproduction plastic. I would call mine a 8,if it has DC plastic a 7/6. I agree will Sachsmx if you don't need to sell it,you can price it as you want. But as the market is now-$3000 to $4000 is all you will get for a restored bike on a good day if that! Maico's seem to bring a little more. [8D]

firstturn

Jon,
  Excellent points.  I think it is call cost averaging. [8D]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh