Hercules/Sachs & Mikuni..Is it possible?

Started by JCHubbard, September 27, 2010, 09:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCHubbard

I am 94.787% done with the restoration of my 76 Hercules 250 GS...However, I've run into a problem -- the Bing Carb -- 54/36/110.(My carb is trash and should be tossed in a smelter[xx(])

Well luckily Vance Smith was kind of enough to tell me that Sir Helmut "Speedy" Clasen was selling the exact Bing Carb that I needed for this bike. Of course, you know that I bought it and it's on its way from the Great White North.

In the meantime...I know some of you have heard the old saying, "A mind is a terrible thing to waste,"...well this dilemma got me thinking...[?]

I know Speedy and a few others POG members run Lectron carbs. I did a search on here and found that a couple of people ran Mikunis on the smaller CC Sachs motors, however, I never found a thread/post about whether a Mikuni can be run on the 240/250/350 motors. SO, what I would like to know is if anyone has EVER run a Mikuni on Hercules/Sachs 250? I've done the conversion from Bing to Mikuni on Maicos and a late 70's and early 80's KTMs, and they ran just fine. Just wondering if it's possible do the same on Hercules/Sachs 250 motor?  

Thanks in advance for your response.  

John Hubbard
JC Hubbard

brian kirby

No reason you cant run a Mikuni, it will work just fine, but I would wait for the Lectron.

Brian
Brian

dirtbike

Yes, it is a quality carb that is quite capable of mixing fuel with air in the desired ratio so it will work.

Speedys blue sachs is, by the way my favourite bike of them all. It's the top of the foodchain in my book.

JCHubbard

Thanks for the replies and I understand that of course, theoretically and practically I know can run a Mikuni, but what I was trying to point out is that I've never heard of anyone ever doing it on the bigger Sachs motors.  And I've always wondered why there weren't any posts about a Bing Mikuni-conversion on the bigger Sachs motors, and just a Bing-Lectron conversion. That's all. If the next Bing doesn't work, then I'll be getting a Lectron.

Hey Brian, have a great time at the ISDTRR!...Depsite having time for it, I probably won't be able to make it.  Thanks for the advice.

John Hubbard
JC Hubbard

sachsmx

I once ran a 36mm VM series Mikuni on my Hercules 250. I wasn't happy. I should have went up to a 38mm but the 36mm was free. I went back to the stock 36mm Bing and never looked back.

dirtbike

I think that the sachs 250 is so rare that those conversions, besides beeing very few, probably are done within the circles of POG people. That's why lectron seem to be so popular. Here in sweden nobody knows anything about those lectron carbs. Sachs engines are very rare but maico, ktm, rotax and others are often equipped with mikunis, or even keihins. Huskys have mikunis stock. All other engines responds very well to mikuni carbs. I just find it to odd for me to accept that the sachs engine wouldn't run perfectly fine. It's just a matter of jetting as I see it.

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by dirtbike

Yes, it is a quality carb that is quite capable of mixing fuel with air in the desired ratio so it will work.

Speedys blue sachs is, by the way my favourite bike of them all. It's the top of the foodchain in my book.

Oh,,,,thank you.

This one???

or this one ????

dirtbike

Both of them Speedy. Maybe with the exception of the FMF muffler :-)
I hope nobody gets it wrong, there are several extremely beautiful bikes. Like all Pentons and KTM's over here. I looked through all your latest race pics at FB last night again Speedy. Great stuff.

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by dirtbike

Both of them Speedy. Maybe with the exception of the FMF muffler :-)
I hope nobody gets it wrong, there are several extremely beautiful bikes. Like all Pentons and KTM's over here. I looked through all your latest race pics at FB last night again Speedy. Great stuff.

The FMF silencers have a build in sparkarrester......
Some of our forrest officer asking for them.