ISDE 2010

Started by Lloyd Boland, October 16, 2010, 10:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Boland

It is just 2 weeks until Mexico.  I know some of the guys on this site are friends of the riders on the team.  How is the team shaping up?

tooclose racing

I get waaay excited about ISDE also.  I really hope this is THE year to bring home the World Trophy.  Of course I said that about Greece and Portugal when I thought we finally had the winning line-ups. Ever since this current team (or members thereof) won the Junior in New Zealand, I've had high hopes....and big letdowns.  I know it's mostly been bad luck (Kurt's concussion, Dietrich's broke bike), but I'm worried our window of World Trophy opportunity will pass us by.

This year Ricky Dietrich is not riding.  Frankly - I'm stunned by this development, and I haven't found an explanation anywhere in the press regarding this change.  I wasn't surprised to see Mike Brown make the squad - a couple of years ago Kurt C thought he would be a good fit.  However - in my calculus, Mike Brown = ISDE ROOKIE.  I know this guy has the potential to get great scores in some of the special tests, but we know have an UNKNOWN on our World Trophy Team.

But I'll be cheering them on.  And of course, Young Gun Cory Buttrick will be leading a very strong JT team.   This really could be THEIR year.  If you're reading this - good luck Cory!!

Larry Perkins

Someone seems to always say this is our year.  I wish Cory and all the US Team the best of luck but until we change how we pick this team and stop sending the guys that have not been able to get it done I predict it won't be our year. We need more guys like Mike Brown that have good woods skills and can wail with their MX skills in the Special Tests.  Of course if there were more Casselli's that would fix it but alas...  Best of luck and crossing my fingers anyway as I would love to eat my words.  However I have been saying them awhile and am still hungry.

Larry P

brian kirby

Larry is right, but that is what is different about this new generation of kids coming up like Cory, he can do Bubba scrubs and go just as fast on an MX track as in a National Enduro test section. Larry is also right that ex-Pro MX champs like Mike Brown is who we need for the modern wide open WEC/ISDE tests. There is a good reason the majority of the Euro teams are full of retired GP racers and not ''career'' enduro riders.

Having said that, we have a good team and the terrain could favor us. Lets just hope none of the team gets kidbapped by Mexican drug gangs.

Brian
Brian

Gary Roach

6 minutes, 48 seconds

That's the total time it takes Cory B. to pull both wheels off of the bike, change both tires (with foam inserts, I might add), and put both wheels back on the bike. He's been practicing really hard here lately on tire changes, and hopes to have that time cut down by the end of the week.  

He's really excited about his chances this year. He learned a lot at last years ISDE, and now he knows what to expect. He'll be riding a 300cc 2-stroke in the E3 class. He and his Dad fly out next Tuesday. I'll try to post any updates and photos I receive like I did last year.

Ernie Phillips

Good luck team USA and especially Cory B.  It can't be won on the first day, but it can be lost.  Race smart.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

Mick Milakovic

Hi Gary, will Cory be at the Ironman this weekend?

Mick
Mick

Gary Roach

Hi Mick,

Yeah, Cory will be there. This is his favorite track, so he has high hopes for another win.

Are you going? Toni and I are staying the whole weekend in our motorhome, and we'll probably be there sometime on Friday afternoon.

tooclose racing

I'll repeat my question for Gary - maybe he's a little closer to the rumor mill.  Do you know why Ricky D is not on the 2010 World Trophy team this year? I know that he and Curt have bumped bars a few times this year, but sheesh....2nd overall in 2008, right?

And I - again - agree with the idea that Mike Brown "fits" the Euro approach to these, and should be strong in the specials as well as the final MX.  I just hope that (rookie) Mike B can change a tire in "6 min and 48 seconds".

Lloyd Boland

I don't think I can get one tire off the first rim in 6 minutes and 48 seconds.

Steve Minor

They time my tire changing with a calendar.....

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

Bob Bean

In 1989 at the 18th annual Florida Winter national Olympics, they had a tire changing contest.

Using only the tire/wheel.

Andy Stacy won it with a time of 3;15

I bet them I could beat it even taking the tire/wheel off
of my KTM 350 and putting it back on and have 12psi in the tire.

Now, I didnt have rim locks, Only pins, just like I used in the ISDE.
My brake pads were beveled for quick change and I had anti-seize on
the axle and Extensions on the valve stem, with the hole in the wheel
opened up and beveled just like we used in the ISDE.

My son had timed me on about 8 practice changes that day. My best was
3:10.

In front of Moto World cameras and about 200 people, I managed to rip
off a perfect tire change in a blistering 2:48 time.
I figured it was the adrenaline that helped.

Nowday's,  I just have my grandson change my tires.. ;)

1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

1974 Penton 250 Harescrambler
1976 Husky 250CR
1985 Husky 400WRX
1985 Husky 250WR
1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

Lloyd Boland

I am curious. Being a little clumbsy is this art, is this a tube exchange with the same tire, or is it a new tube and a new tire?  Any hints or tricks-of-the-trade you can enlighten us with.  At home I always let the shop do this, but at the track or in the desert, I always seem to have a knack for pinching the tube when I put the tire back on.

Bob Bean

Lloyd,

It was taking off tire and tube and putting on another tire and tube.

There are lots of little tricks that help tire changes.
Not just for speed, but for makeing sure you get the job done well and dont pinch the tube.

Some tips, and I am sure there are more.

#1 Use lots of slippery lube.
#2 I modify my tire irons with a small groove ground near the end
   to prevent going in too deep when levering the tire on.
#3 Never lever the tire iron over 90 degrees. if you do you risk
   pinching the tire.
#4 Take many small bites.  Trying to do too much at once doesnt work
#5 Put a small amount of air in the tube to give it shape.
#6 The first side you put on, use your knees and no tire iron.
#7 I always started near the valve stem and worked back around to it.
#8 Rim locks suck. I used pins. And carried BIG Industrial Zip Ties
   4 or 5 of them wrapped around a tire will keep it on the rim.
#9 If you are putting on a new tire, warm it up ! We put tires on top
   of the engines in our team rental cars to get the rubber warmed up
   and softer.. Much easier to put on..  I hate cold stiff tires.
and lastly,
#10 Ride with a buddy who is good at changing tires !

1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

1974 Penton 250 Harescrambler
1976 Husky 250CR
1985 Husky 400WRX
1985 Husky 250WR
1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

Gary Roach

Quotequote:Originally posted by tooclose racing

I'll repeat my question for Gary - maybe he's a little closer to the rumor mill.  Do you know why Ricky D is not on the 2010 World Trophy team this year? I know that he and Curt have bumped bars a few times this year, but sheesh....2nd overall in 2008, right?

Don't quote me on this, but the rumors I've heard is that Ricky was not asked to join the team because he was more concerned about himself, and not about the team.

Last year, he was asked to ride to a 250 Four stroke in the E1 class because he stood a very good chance to win that class. He told the team no, and said that he was going to ride a 450 because he wanted to go for the overall win.

After he dnf'd on the first day last year, instead of doing what he could to help the Team USA riders out for the rest of the week, he went home the next day.