A few Jackpiner photos

Started by marsattacks, October 18, 2010, 10:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marsattacks

This weekend I made a switch from white fibre fenders to chrome. I am working from the 1972 brochure photo.  All that is left is the front mud flap, the fork brace, and maybe the tool rack and bag (next weekend!). Because it is registered legal for street use, maybe I will add an electric horn (although I think that 72s in the U.S. did not come with electric horns and used manual air horns, if any).

A nice Autumn afternoon.

Here is the left side -- all original stickers except the oval "Penton" on the right side of the tank (reproduction)

These fenders are so soft that they dent if you stare at them.  Oops, someone was staring. I cannot imagine what a mangled mess they would be after one decent day of enduro riding.  My guess is that even at the Isle of Man in 1971 plastic was used instead.  Maybe somebody knows.

Sort of repetitive but I hope you don't mind.

This was a devil to fit!! It is not safe for night use. Just to get by police review.  This is pretty close to one of the variants offered as new so it is within code for my state's antique vehicle law.

"L"-shaped speedometer bracket. Needs a rubber band to keep from bouncing up and down!  Geez it really flops around.  It is basically unrideable without support.  I think I have seen some of these that have a sort of hook that catches the crossbar, but this one doesn't.

I suppose this is a "Hi-Point" enduro watch holder--I have never seen one of these before and I will probably just put a quartz watch in there. It is sort of weird because under no circumstances will it fit any part of any bar.  Maybe it was intended to strap over a coat sleeve?  If anybody knows for sure I'd be curious to hear.  Perhaps it is in one of those Hi Point catalogues but I don't have any.

Best regards, John
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

rob w

Piner looks great John.

The leather watch holder is for holding a pocket watch, strapped to the wrist.

Bob

tomale

I believe the fenders were aluminum in 72  most every bike had aluminum fenders until preston Petty came out with those cool plastic fenders...

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

marsattacks

Thanks Bob, it must be sized to fit the over a coat then, because you would have to have wrists the size of a coke bottle for it to fit on the smallest setting! It makes sense, of course.
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
79 space rock shox bike

400gs6

Love it!  Very period correct and well done!  Good to see you are enjoying it.

Kurt
KURT FLACHBART

JCHubbard

JC Hubbard

marsattacks

Experiment with mobile upload. Added fork brace, tool rack/bag and mudflap. Pretty close to complete. On to the next project.

Mars Attacks!
79 space rock shox bike

baxtermcc

A good looking set of wheels there John.  I assume those photo were taken up in Westmoreland Co?
Bob McCullough

marsattacks

Hi Bob you are correct -- in the middle of shotgun territory! :) Hope you are doing great - saw your dad at VMD but only for a second as I was in a fast-moving group. Best to you and your family. John
Mars Attacks!
79 space rock shox bike

Paul Danik

John,

Awesome looking Piner.  I would like to discuss with you sometime the whole process for "street legal" status in our fine state.  Judy and I were on route 711 last Sunday from Seven Springs to Ligonier, I kept an eye out for a shiny Piner the whole time :)

If we can get a few more bikes "street legal" possibly the POG Pavement Pounders could make a casual trip through the countryside sometime.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

Paul

Lew Mayer

Antique tags help a lot in this state, Paul.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Charles Gresham

Sweet !

1974 Penton 250 Hare Scrambler
1976 Penton GS6 125
1974 Yamaha MX100
1973 Honda CL 100
1978 Suzuki RM 125
1983 Honda XL 185
1993 Yamaha RT 180
1974 Penton 250 Hare Scrambler