John Penton story........

Started by Paul Danik, November 22, 2010, 07:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

Greetings,

When you get this up be sure to click for the full screen viewing option, and turn up your volume....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmDtHq42zeo

Paul

Steve Minor

WOW....I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS STORY.

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

joe novak

Steve, you took the words right out of my mouth!  I can't wait for this story, too.  Joe

Paul Danik

Todd Huffman of "The Motocross Files" put together the video as a teaser for his upcoming project, "The John Penton Story". Any of you who have seen Todd's work know what an awesome job he does, to have him tackle this project is very, very exciting for all of us.

This teaser is just the tip of the iceberg, Todd has a tough road ahead, but so did John Penton when he came up with his dream motorcycle and we all know how that turned out.

A special thanks goes out to Skip Page for supplying and transporting the Steel Tanker for the filming. Hopefully Skip will tell us a little about his adventure......

Thanks also to Victor Monz for his help in securing the Steel Tanker.

Rick Doughty of Vintage Iron did the riding, Jack sent one of John's helmets out for Rick to use.

I spoke with Todd after viewing the clip and he asked what I thought of it, I told him it brought tears to my eyes.. I am sure that many of you will also be moved by it.

Paul

cubfan1968

I will see this!!!!

Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

rpage11

This was a lot of fun to do and I'm glad I ran across Paul and Victor's posts.  It was a 24 hour day and over 900 miles but I'd do it again in a heart beat.

Before I took off the bike was running kind of gutless so I asked Al about it and he said timing or carb too rich.  I got in touch with Ric E. (sixdazed) and he checked the timing and changed the main jet.  The bike was running like a top when I left his place.  Ric did you see it jump off the line at the very end of the video?  Thanks for your magic again.

Watching Todd work is amazing. He made the whole thing fun and kept asking everyone to look the various runs over and what our opinion's were.

Rick took great care of the bike and I was surprised he could ride around in the dark the way he did.  Good thing for the 12v mz-b.  

The bike and all the fun I've had over the last 5 years is all because of this group and I'm proud to be part of it.  If I can be of any more help just call.  Skip

Skip

Skip Page
Tucson, AZ
Skip Page
Tucson, AZ
www.robertpagearchitect.com

tomale

All I can say is WOW

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Steve Minor

Paul....Man you've got to see if CD's are going to be available. What a great addition for my library!

Thanks for all you do for POG and the Penton legacy.

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

joe novak

I love the photos!  Why?  So period correct.  Electrical tape numbers.  My first Penton was a 1970 Penton Berkshire.  The photos are a little more motivation for me to continue working on my "basket case" 1970 Penton.  I need a rear axle... among a few other small items.   Joe

Gordon Brennan

Summer of 2012. Wish we didn't have to wait almost two years to see it.

thrownchain

Put me down for a couple of copies...

pakala

Skip,
Thanks for stepping up and offering your steeltanker. Seems there is none in Socal. Your Penton is a moviestar!!:-)
        Paul(socal)

BobJones

My brother & I started riding dirt bikes when I was at Mizzou in 1966. We had BSA's then OSSA's & in 72 bought 2 125 Penton's from Munganast. Later he got a Jackpiner & I a Hare Scrambler. We had already realized how great the reward of riding a dirt bike thru the woods fast was so when "On Any Sunday" came out it was just a validation of what we already knew. It was like McQueen's quote in LeMans,"racing is life everything before & after is just waiting". On those trips to enduro's & qualifiers we talked about opening our own motorcycle store in 1977 we did. 34 years later we're still here. John Penton has no idea how many lives he touched & how much better people most of us are because of his passion. I can't wait for the movie.Bob

Bob Jones
Show-me state
(2)74 Harescramblers,72 Jackpiner,68/69 6-Day,73 Harescrambler.

Bob Jones
Show-me state
(2)74 Harescramblers,72 Jackpiner,68/69 6-Day,73 Harescrambler.

The Webbers

This will be a must see for my son and I,as I named my son Penton after John and his motorcycle .
I met John back a few years ago at the Davenport,Iowa Antique Motorcycle Swap meet .
He has been a great inspiration to me from childhood .
Duane

Paul Danik

Duane,

I think I remember meeting you at the Penton display we set up at Davenport. If I remember correctly we provided you with an autographed T-shirt for your son, is that correct or am I mistaken?

Paul