What kind of goggles are these?

Started by garrettccovington, December 12, 2010, 10:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garrettccovington

One of the old desert rats at work was fiddleing around with these goggles yesterday at work.  They were all covered in sand and dust. He Told me he found them out by El Mirage Dry Lake bed, next to a abandoned house, in the sand over 20 years ago.  The right frame is stamped Made in England and the Left frame is stamped Patent.  Now I know they are a RAF Pilot Style goggles and e-bay has them on sale for .01 cent. But I was wondering if you guys could clue me in.  They are in pretty good shape.

G

72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

Dwight Rudder

They appear to be 1930's style Royal Air Force style goggles.  Could be original.  Type is still available today.  Made by many different manufacturers over the years. Don't know what else to add.  Doubt that the original manufacturer can be identified.

Terence McEnally

Blimey! Lost in the sand storm I was me and the old Spit when I rolled back the old green 'ous to get a better view an' all of a sudden this 'ear gust takes me gogs right off me noggin! Thanks Mate! Thought I'd never find the bleeding things! Tally Ho! Corrigan
\\"Illegitimi Non Corborundum\\"

garrettccovington

Your just Killin me Terence,,, LOL!  Yea it was funny.  I was thinking the same thing when I 1st saw them,  I've been going to El Mirage since the late 60's to ride and never saw goggles like that there.
 I was sitting at the lunch Table oogling over the latest POG Newsleter and was reading about the Bell magnum that went for around $4000 and Mr. Bayer asked me what these were worth,  I don't know maybe 100 bucks.  This started a bidding war right there.  He gave them to me to find out.  I gotta admit they are prety cool.

G

72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

cdb50mx

My parents brought back goggles like this from a trip to England , in the 70's , when I first started riding .

Mike

Doug Bridges

Hey don't laugh, but I use to wear these exact goggles back in my desert raceing days in the 70's. I also raced many races in the El mirage lake neighborhood. They could be mine. Beleive it or not, in a 100 mile race through the powdery dust of the mojave desrt the dust would flake off the glass lenses and they also did not scratch like the plastic lenses alowing you to wipe the dust off and keed going.
No I dont what brand they were. I do think they are cool though[8D]

Doug Bridges
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner/FrankenPenton
project
82 XR200R
Doug Bridges
73 Jackpiner
74 Rickman Zundapp
78 Suzuki PE175
82 XR200R

Dwight Rudder

Just noticed that Malcom's Baja bike has a 19" front wheel.  LOL

SouthRider

And what appears to be a trials universal tire.....
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

Mark P

QuoteOriginally posted by pakala

[/quote

I read somwhere that Malcom said he was traveling over 100 mph when this famous photo was traken.  Also latest issue of Dirt Bike has a little profile of Malcom's son Alexander on his KTM 300. His son looks just like him.

garrettccovington

Well,  I'm gonna give them back tomorrow.  They sure do look nice sitting on my little table of old gear next to the 6-Day.

G

72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250