Right hand numbness

Started by kenbike, December 18, 2010, 07:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenbike

I have a 72 motor in 74 frame 250 Penton.  Last summer I had a problem with only my right hand going numb after as short as 20 minutes of riding.  I have other street and KLR 650 that I ride all day and do not have this problem.  This bike is a rider some I would like help with a bar system that would help. I thinking the issue may be related to the throttle tube but not sure.  The bike has Aluminum bars and gel grips.

Doug Bridges

Sounds like Carpel Tunnel Syndrome. It can be caused by vibration and repetitive wrist movement ( Gassing It!! ). I know because I have it too. Take Motrin. Ware wrist support.

Doug Bridges
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner/FrankenPenton
project
82 XR200R
Doug Bridges
73 Jackpiner
74 Rickman Zundapp
78 Suzuki PE175
82 XR200R

Mickey Sergeant

I just got diagnosted with carpel tunnel. I waited to long to do something about it.I'm probably going to have surgery.my right hand is worst than my left.It gets hard to even pull in the clutch. My recomendation would be to get it checked out before it gets to bad.

74 Berkshire

tomale

these old bike do vibrate more than newer bikes. I have ridden newer bikes too with not near the hand problems that riding the older bikes give me... still making sure your arms are ok is still a good idea, if only to make sure that you are not quessing what the real problem is.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
74'250 hare scrambler (project)
74' 1/2 440 maico
78' 440 maico
72' cr125 Husky (project)
74' TM125 suzuki
93' RMx 250 suzuki

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Merlin

Holding on too tight

Quote: Thomas Jefferson, We are all born ignorant, some work to remain that way.
 Quote:Peter Villacaro, "it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught".
Quote: Thomas Jefferson, We are all born ignorant, some work to remain that way.
 Quote:Peter Villacaro, \\"it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught\\".

Mike Hufnagel

One thing that has helped me was to install an extra set of grips over the existing ones. Big pain in the butt to do! An easier way is to wrap another set right on to the existing ones with safety wire.  It helps if that the old grips are smooth & small so as to not be too large overall after the new ones are wrapped on. Plus you would have a better surface for glue to adhere to if used in conjuction with safety wire. Been doing this for years.

I don;t know why grip manufacturers don't make oversized grips to begin with.

74 Yamaha TY 250
75 Jackpiner w/ 250 eng.
80 Ktm Mc 400
82 KTM GS250II (import)
82 KTM 495
2) 84 Yam RZ350
98 KTM 300mxc
00 KTM Duke 2
06 KTM 950 Adv.
08 Suzuki DR70Z
\\\'12 Husaberg TE300
74 Penton Wassels
74 Yamaha TY 250
77 Yamaha TY 175
74 Jackpiner w/ 250 eng.
82 KTM GS250II (import)
77 Yamaha RD 400 Daytona Café replica
81 Ktm mx 495
12 Ktm RC8R
04 Honda xr 100
06 KTM 950 Adv.

kenbike

I have a doc appointment next month we ask him to check out the wrist.
I did have a bad fall off a ladder in 92 and came down head first and broke my eye socket and both wrist, after a few operations they are ok.  But is surprising I can do 12 hour days on my KLR which is not the smoothest bike.

I will try Mike's idea, in fact I picked up a set of grips at the Iron Pony store that are made to go over the normal grip.  They are made out of a heavy foam product, can't recall the brand.  Will see if they help in the spring.

Lloyd Boland

The most common causes of numbness in the hands are carpal tunnel syndrome, thoracic outlet syndrome or cervical radiculopathy.  Most of the time simple examination findings will be able to differentiate the cause, but occasionally electrodiagnostic testing is needed.  Make sure it is correctly diagnosed before going under the knife.  I have seen way too many patient's that have gone under the knife without the proper diagnosis, only to have poor outcomes because the wrong surgery was done.
Lloyd

joe novak

All the information is very informative and interesting.  I have also had hand numbness while riding, and yes it is the throttle hand.  It became so bad one time, as I was on my return ride back home, while attempting to cross my wooden bridge (about 36" wide by 15 ft.long) over a deep creek, I rode off the side of the bridge right into the creek.  I had lost all feeling in my right hand and had little control of the handlebars.   I did a head-over-heals into the other side of the bank.   It was tough trying to get the bike out of the deep creek, too.   I have found that handle bar position and type of bar bend affects this situation.   Ride Safely.   Joe

kenbike

I might try filling the ends of the bars with steel shot, many street bike guys will do this the reduce buzzing in the bars.  I will update after getting some time on the bike this spring.

Larry Perkins

A few years ago I began to have trouble with hands hurting and going to sleep in the middle of the SCORE Baja season.  At the 500 it was so bad I could not pre-ride so I raced my section blind.  The Doctors diagnosed it as Carpel Tunnel and did surgery on both hands.  Afterwards there was little to no improvement.  Then with further tests it was determined I had Rhumatoid Arthritis and have had that fairly controlled through meds since.  It was all quite an ordeal and 2 wasted surgeries because doctors rushed to a conclusion that fit.

Larry P

Mark P

I've had issues with hand numbness riding my bicycle when I was a kid. I still have problems but found one thing that really helps is keeping the back of your hand in an even plane with your forearms. That keeps the back of your palm and hand from touching the object you are holding. Those sensive nerves run through that crease at the bottom of your hand and for me, that part of my hand touching the grip for morew than a minute will put my hand to sleep. In fact, when simply raising my palm off the grip and ensuring the plane of my forearm and back of hand is even will stop the numbness. I have some special gloves that also have the gel packs in the palm that provide a "channel" for those nerves as well. Ill find the website for them and post them later. Another thing that I have worked on is building my pinch strength with fingers. This helps me to relax my grip somewhat.

Danny Metz

Ken,  If it comes down to surgery for Carpal Tunnel, don't sweat it.  I had trouble for years, and had surgery done on both hands (at different times).  It was done as outpatient, and I had more movement and less pain walking out of the hospital than I did walking in...  It has been over 10 years since those surgeries, and the problems have not returned.  

Danny

dirtbike

I had a severe carpal tunnel issue on my right hand. I took surgery for about 7-8 years ago. It cured the numbness instantly but I still have a strange feeling on the inside of my ring finger. I did let it get so bad that it caused permanent damage before I had it fixed. I still have a little in my left hand but it's nowhere near the problem I had on my right hand.

Rain Man

All my numbness and pains went away 20 years ago when the Doctor told me to quit riding dirt bikes.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons