Two stroke theory question

Started by brian kirby, January 10, 2011, 04:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian kirby

Bob, its funny that you mention Diamond Pistons, I know of them from Ford 2.3 turbo engines. A lot of other companies make 2.3 turbo pistons, but only Diamond makes exact copies of the original Ford part. I would happily buy 4 pistons, that is not a problem, and I might even be able to get a couple other guys from the Husky Yahoo list together and get 10+ made.

Speedy, I think that was the old Husky 125, these bikes are pretty reliable, just not very fast.

Brian
Brian

gooddirt

Eric's Motorcycle Co. Pasadena Ca. ph 626-449-3742.   Husky dealer from the 1970s till today,  sells KTM as well . He should still be open, has all of whats left of his old inventory. Think he rode Pentons in a few ISDT's .

Dwight Rudder

I finished the 1982 ISDE in Czecho on one. I had to put a 530 main jet in mine.  My Qualifier  bike was a XC125 with the close ratio gearbox.  Why I don't know ?  At DB's recomendation I put in a 1974 SC125 6th gear. as when geared for the woods the XC would only do about 53mph with stock gearbox. With the SC125 6th gear I could do 65mph. I seized mine once with a 510 main jet and stock gearbox on a dirt road.
Dwight
Quotequote:
Speedy, I think that was the old Husky 125, these bikes are pretty reliable, just not very fast.

Brian

rd400pi

Brian,
  Interesting topic as I had just talked with Forest Stahl Wed am about the '83 175 piston.  He confirmed what you are saying when he said he didn't have any of them.  Let me know what direction you are going with the pistons if you get a chance.  Cheers.

Mike H.
  Tulsa
  [email protected]

auto

I got my 82 125wr from Stan Beni.He gave me a 175 kit cylinder and piston with it.The piston is a Wiseco.There is no casting ID on it,but it is a wiseco P40.Contact Wiseco,they can locate inventory sometimes with their dealers.

brian kirby

Mike,

Do you have an 82-83 175 Husky? I am going to have Diamond Racing reproduce some pistons, if they are $100-150 each with a minimum of 4 I will buy that many just for myself. My cylinder is std bore too, so I will probably have std size pistons made and have my cylinder nicasil plated that size. Let me know if you want some, and what sizes you think I should have made.

Brian
Brian

Knute

Hey Brian,

Several things...Kevin had told me that the 1981 125's did NOT have a windowed piston, but that the team bikes used pistons modified to include a window.

I wasn't aware that Diamond would do "one-off" pistons, but I spoke with JE Pistons several years ago at the Dealer Show and they were willing to make me affordable one-off's with no minimum.  In fact, they were even advertising this service.  JE is a very high quality piston and, if Al had not started offering Wiseco Sachs pistons, I was going to have JE make them for me.

As far as Nikasil goes, I'm not sure I understand your theory.  Nikasil plating was developed as a coating that is directly applied to the aluminum cylinder and offers several advantages over an iron liner.  For one, the main problem with an iron liner is that it expands at a different rate than the aluminum piston, thus requiring larger tolerances.  This becomes especially problematic with larger bore sizes.  By coating an aluminum cylinder with Nikasil, you've gained a hard, low wear surface for the piston to be run against, as well as expansion properties that are similar to the piston, allowing tighter tolerances.  An added benefit is the cylinder also has better heat conductivity, which has aided in the development of engines with higher specific output. I'm not aware of Nikasil being applied to an iron liner, but perhaps it could be done...I just don't see why you would do it.

Kent

TEAM PENTOVARNA
Kent Knudson
Kevin Brown
Gary & Toni Roach
James & Adam Giddings
Dennis & Cory Buttrick
TEAM PENTOVARNA
Kent Knudson
Kevin Brown
Gary & Toni Roach
James & Adam Giddings

brian kirby

Kent,

Thats odd that all the 76-78 and 82-83 pistons have an oval window but apparently the 79-81 dont? I thought all cylinder reed pistons had windows, but I guess they dont. The case reed piston on my 84 KTM 125 has no window, but the case reed piston on my '99 YZ125 does. Go figure. [?]

You can apply nikasil to an iron liner just as well as aluminum. You obviously dont get the thermal advantages because you are plating over a liner, but you get the wear advantages, once plated it will basically last forever provided you keep the air filter clean and dont snag a ring or something like that. If applied to a cylinder like mine you never have to get oversize pistons made, you just get one size made and reapply the plating if/when it wears out. Larry Stahl told me he does that with 360 Huskys, those pistons are hard to find, but a 2mm over is the same size as a std 390 which is easy to find so he overbores then has it plated to fit the std 390 piston.

Brian
Brian

rd400pi

Brian,
  Can you email me directly at [email protected]?  I can't find your email address.  I have a bunch of questions concerning the Huskys'.  Cheers.

Mike H.

brian kirby

Clark, the 76 Husky 175 piston wont work, its a 62x54 bore and stroke, the 82-83 is 64.75x52.

Bob, the wrist pin is 15mm just like all Penton/Sach/KTM 125s up to now, unfortunately the KTM 200 went up to a 16mm pin. The Yamaha RT180 piston looks like it would work too, but it is also a 16mm pin.

Brian
Brian

Bob Bean

Brian,

The company that makes custom pistons is called Diamond pistons.  Tony is at work and didnt have the number for them, but can get it tonight.

The only thing is, you have to get 4 pistons made....
They will make them in 2 sizes.

They run about $100 each.

I ran into a company that made custom pistons 1 at a time last fall.
I think they were about $150 each.  
It was on either Vinduro or Husky Cafe I think...?
I tried a quick search but didnt find the link yet.
Darn work, keeps interfering ! <G>

Bob

1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

1973 Jackpiner 175
1974 Penton 250 Harescrambler
1976 Husky 250CR
1985 Husky 400WRX
1985 Husky 400WR
1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by brian kirby

Clark, the 76 Husky 175 piston wont work, its a 62x54 bore and stroke, the 82-83 is 64.75x52.

Bob, the wrist pin is 15mm just like all Penton/Sach/KTM 125s up to now, unfortunately the KTM 200 went up to a 16mm pin. The Yamaha RT180 piston looks like it would work too, but it is also a 16mm pin.

Brian

Hello Brian.
A friend of mine used to be the Canadian Husky Importer for years.He sponsord a ISDT team on Huskys.We needed 3 differend class categories and he chosed one bike a 125.
For almost a year,even with help from the factory they tried to get the 125 Husky running good enough to make it trough the ISDT.They finally quit trying and took a big bore instett.
They kept trying to finish the 125 anyway,but finally he gave up and never ordered any 125 cc Husky,s.The once he had sold had more trouble than a human could stand for.I remember that in a few cases he had to take the bikes back and there was trouble with Husky Sweden because of this models.

brian kirby

Bob, its funny that you mention Diamond Pistons, I know of them from Ford 2.3 turbo engines. A lot of other companies make 2.3 turbo pistons, but only Diamond makes exact copies of the original Ford part. I would happily buy 4 pistons, that is not a problem, and I might even be able to get a couple other guys from the Husky Yahoo list together and get 10+ made.

Brian
Brian

gooddirt

Eric's Motorcycle Co. Pasadena Ca. ph 626-449-3742.   Husky dealer from the 1970s till today,  sells KTM as well . He should still be open, has all of whats left of his old inventory. Think he rode Pentons in a few ISDT's .

Dwight Rudder

I finished the 1982 ISDE in Czecho on one. I had to put a 530 main jet in mine.  My Qualifier  bike was a XC125 with the close ratio gearbox.  Why I don't know ?  At DB's recomendation I put in a 1974 SC125 6th gear. as when geared for the woods the XC would only do about 53mph with stock gearbox. With the SC125 6th gear I could do 65mph. I seized mine once with a 510 main jet and stock gearbox on a dirt road.
Dwight
Quotequote:

Brian