1978 MC5 250 SOLD !!!!!!!!!!!

Started by G Ellis, January 21, 2011, 08:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Lenz

Larry, Larry, Larry,

Im starting to wonder if you ever got the pleasure ro ride a properly set up KTM 420?  My best racer friend back in the day raced Yams, we battled alot from 78 to 82, and we rode each others bikes at least once a year.  I admit in 78 he had a power atvantage with his 400 verses my 360, but not handling.  In 79 the power picture reversed big time with my all new 420. I think the atvantage went back and forth year by year. I have an 81 KTM with a 420 engine for GP class racing. Even though in stock form the 81 KTM 495 was pretty horrible (too powerful, too high and too small forks), it can be made into the best KTM open class GP racer. I can hoenestly say, ecxept in 81 I never liked his Yams better than my KTM's although I remember they got pretty good by 80. However, I also have to say comming from a purely Jap background he could never shift my KTM's. One other thing, I had him on a KTM by 85!!

I agree it really does depend on the track.  At Red Bud, yea I want my KTM 420.   But at Greenwood Mo, a track we both have been to I would pick my 77 mc-5 400 over my 420, even for the GP class.  Its shorter, lower and it turns better (faster).  The GP era bikes got so long I have never ridden any one of them that I thought turned very well.  Most of them have longer wheelbases than modern bikes! Weight has never been an issue with me...as you can tell by looking at me!

On the 250's, to make them GP class competive in the engine department you can simply add a 80 or 81 cylinder (porting is the same), or even an 82 reed cylinder, although I think that cylinder is slower.  Or you can port the 77 and 78 cylinder to match the 80/81.  But I take an 80 or 81 and port those a little.  They can be made to fly and with the 78 and on pipe still have good low end.

If someone wants to buy Gary's bike and race Larry on it I will help you get it set up to be a jap/Larry beater...for the right tracks!

Take that Larry, you jap bike lover!

All in fun you know.

Mike

tomale

my, my I sure started something, a good discussion is always a good thing..

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
74'250 hare scrambler (project)
74' 1/2 440 maico
78' 440 maico
72' cr125 Husky (project)
74' TM125 suzuki
93' RMx 250 suzuki

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Britt Boyette

The heck with all race this stuff, ride what makes you happy. I would be more than thrilled to ride this bike.:D

Britt Boyette

76 400 MC5 (project)
77 Husky WR250
76 RM370
83 YZ250
06 KX450f flat tracker
09 Kawasaki Versys
70 Suzuki TS250
Too much of a good thing? I think NOT!
Britt Boyette

77 Husky WR250
76 RM370
06 KX450f flat tracker/ MX racer
09 Kawasaki Versys

joe novak

I agree with Britt about riding what makes you happy.  I know someone who bought for a few hundred dollars an old, very-much raced 1968 Penton Six-Days (with the green side covers).  At the time, the old Penton was about 4 years old, and he called it his "puddle-jumper".   That same old bike is still sitting in the barn, waiting to be ridden for fun!   Joe

Larry Perkins

A true rider will never quite understand the racer's motivation and a true racer will never quite understand the rider's motivation.  It is that very motivation that makes for a different outlook on this whole Vintage thing.  Many of you guys love to ride them and that gives you pleasure in reliving old memories.  I race them because I love to compete and it has extended my racing career.  In Modern MX I can no longer WIN at the level I would like to compete at and I see no point to racing if there is No possibility of winning.  That is a total racer mentality.  At Vintage the winning can still happen on occasion.  As a racer with limited natural skills I always want to have all the possible advantages in what I feel is the best equipment for the task.  With that in mind Best becomes more important than Favorite.  

Regardless, never doubt what my favorite is.  When the Elsinores came out I beat my head against the wall a whole season continuing to try and win with the Sachs motored Penton.  I was also the Nutty one that took the Berkshire to the Astrodome against the Much better sleeved down YZ's and Elsies.  In the 80's I raced MX with the white tanked long wheel based slow turning KTM bikes and was often the only KTM at the track, all the while knowing the Japanese bikes were better mounts.  I bleed Orange but love to race and win with a minimal of disadvantages.

Regardless of all this, I still maintain without emotional involvement that a 80 or 81 MX bike is far superior to a 1978 model and that with equal riders in a perfect world where no one makes mistakes the race is over before it begins.

Larry P

rob w

She's a beauty Gary. Ya'know I'm looking for a sponsored ride. :D
Bob

G Ellis

Ok Bob, I can sponsor you on this bike for 2500.00.If no one wants it I think I will race it. Maybe Mike will help me. Later Gary

Mike Lenz

DKWRACER

Gag me Forever! There is nothing that lasts forever, like a Podium finish on a Penton ;)...........there is something "lurking" about it.

Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius

skiracer

Hey Gary, what color did you use on the frame?  Thanks!

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1982 Suzuki PE 175
1976 Husqvarna 175GP
2002 KTM 200 EXC
2007 KTM 250 XCF
1979 KTM 250 GS (Project)
1981 KTM 250 (Project)
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

G Ellis

Allis chalmers orange.I can buy it at the local farm store.

G Ellis

Hope someone here would like this bike. If not it will go up on Ebay. Will help with delievery. Free delievery to Mid Ohio.  Later Gary