Shifter and Kickstart Shaft Seals

Started by Keith Meatyard, January 26, 2011, 08:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Meatyard

Both of my 73 Jackpiners leak trans oil around the shafts of the shifter and kickstarter where they exit the clutch cover.  They leak enough that puddles of oil will appear on the ground below them.  I noticed during disassembly that the oil seals used on those shafts, as well as in two spare motors, are only single lip seals with the lip facing outboard.  I'm assuming that the designers wanted to keep dirt out of the tranny more so than keeping the oil in.  Is this correct?  There is about .008"-.010" up and down movement of the shafts in the bored holes through the cover when you push the shafts up or down.  
Is that about normal?  Would it not make sense to install double lip seals with the primary lip facing in to keep the oil in, and let the secondary lip protect from dirt entry?
Anybody got any good ideas?

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

Larry Perkins

Keith,

I have seen the seals backwards like that but if you put new ones in the correct way it will stop leaking.  Because of the shaft play they will wear on the seal though and will have to be replaced from time to time if you ride a lot.

Larry P