off topic - Gina

Started by OhioTed, January 30, 2011, 08:21:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OhioTed

It was mentioned in the York swap meet post, a pretty obscure bike which drew some attention.  I knew I had seen the thing somewhere before. . .

Took me a while, but I finally found, in my archives, a one-time ad, from 38 years ago:

Bet these were hot in Argentina!

drtrnr

Hey Ted,
I was wondering what a Gila was. The Gina is an Argentina Gilera. They were licensed by Gilera to be made in Argentina (GI from Gilera and NA from Argentina) If you remember the Gilera road bike you called me about last year that you found in a swap meet. Gilera also made alot of the Sears bikes but not of the quality that they made for the european market. Gilera had some good success in the road racing arena.
Not a Penton, but a real Italian Gilera was a reliable motor with torque. Being Italian design, it probably handled fairly well. Although, the Argentinians were not known for quality manufacturing. Cheap Knock-offs. I have been burned by buying parts from Argentina that turned out to be knock offs, especially with my Moto Rumi.
There was a Gina road bike at last years Mountainfest.
Thanks for the post, John A

OhioTed

Thank you for providing this insight, John.  One of the great strengths of the Penton Owners Group is the knowledge and depth of our members, not only in regard to Pentons, but for vintage motorcycles in general.  Want to know something about virtually any old bike?  Just ask POG.  Somebody'll know.