Wanted parts MC5- 400

Started by Phippster2, March 23, 2002, 01:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phippster2

Wanted: Help ! I need a seat,side panels, rear fender,and pipe for a (what I believe)1978 400. Can anybody also help me identify this bike? The piston has a marking of 82 on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Steve Minor

Look for the frame number on the steering head stem. If you'll post that number on this forum, someone can identify the year. I believe you'll find that the #82 on the piston indicates the bore size.....For parts, check with either Larry or Alan, located in the "parts" section on the home page.....they can fix you up with most everything you need.....

Steve Minor

Phippster2

Thanx steve. the first 3 digits of the sn are 855. The bike has an orange frame with the short (pre FIM) side panels.This lead me to believe that it is a 78. The side panel on the bike said MX-6 250. I pulled the head off and there is no way its a 250. The hole is huge. This what lead me to believe it was a 400. Is there any way to find out threw the SN what model it is?
   Thanx, Jimmy

Rocket

Phippster2
I believe there is a 78 400 on Ebay right now under KTM.  Take a look and see if it matches yours.
Rocket

Bryan

I'm also looking for parts to finish my     '78 400 I need side panels,shift lever,kick start lever. I have talked with Larry and he didn't have any side panels and H&H doesn't have any either. I'm also looking for some reasonably priced good used engine cases for my '76 250

Bryan
Bryan

LINDEMAN

phippster2 I think I have a 78 pipe and I need a 77 pipe.Will check today.E-mail me at [email protected] bryan I will check on cases.E-mail me also.

Dr.2Stroke

hello. i have two of these bikes too. The frame number begins also with 855.... and this says ,its an 78 built frame. The 55 means the general type of the bike,and in this case its a 400(ca359ccm).The stroke was 68mm,the bore 82mm.There are any numbers on the cylinder over the intake manifold,should be a 82. this is the bore.i also have used pipes in various conditions,sidepanels made of polyester,or used orinal ones,used crank cases,new pistons from 81 to 83 bore,new bearings ,con rods and gaskets,new clutches and clutch covers,cables,used seatswith good foam,and and and. Regards Dr.2Stroke

Bob

Phippster2

Thanx Bob! that is lotsof help.

Phippster2

Hi Dr2stroke. I tried to email you and didnt get a response. Maye i sent it to the wrong Email address(stupid me).Could you send me a list and prices of stuff you have forthe 78 400.My email is [email protected] .
  thanx