KTM 250 engine year

Started by bldillman, March 28, 2002, 10:25:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bldillman

I have a 70's KTM 250 motor that I'm trying to find the year it was made. I believe it came out of a Penton. I found two numbers on the cases 3-5400301 and 5430003010, any help would be appreciated.

Rocket

I believe the 3 designates that it was built in 1973.  Should be a clock looking stamping on your cases that will tell the month it was built.  If it was late in the year it probably is a 74 model.
Rocket

bldillman

Thanks Rocket. I found the stamping looks like it was made March of 1973. If anyone is interested I will have it listed on ebay by the first of the week.

Bryan

I forgot to ask in my e-mail what kinda shape is the motor in? does it turn over?

Bryan
Bryan

bldillman

Motor turns over, took the head off and it's on standard 71mm bore. You can still see a little cross hatch on the cylinder, no lip at the top, looks like it just needs to be honed. All the gears work, the counter shaft sprocket has very little wear, but the starter shaft is a little messed up, no carb or intake. Picked the motor and a frame up at a junk yard about 7 years ago, the ignition cover is missing and the wires to the stator have been cut. Previous owner may have had ignition problems and just parked it.