R.I.P. Charlie Hawk

Started by Knute, March 20, 2011, 06:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knute

Charlie was a folk hero of sorts throughout this region and his reputation was well earned.  Many of you knew him as a very successful flat-tracker, hare scrambler and motocrosser.  He also promoted events and was very involved in our local racing scene.  Others knew him through his dealership, Hawk's Cycle Sales, which he ran from 1958-1973.  Charlie is most frequently remembered for being a Honda dealer, but he carried numerous brands over the years.  I have many fond memories of Charlie's shop and, looking back, I believe the first bike I rode solo was a QA50 behind the dealership in 1969.

Charlie was a very progressive dealer and, as a result, he was one of the very first dealers to carry the Penton brand.  For many years he told me he was an early Penton dealer, but I wasn't really sure how early until a few years ago.  While visiting a mutual friend, I learned that he and 5 others bought a very early batch of Penton's through Charlie in 1968.  Lo and behold, when he showed me the title for his Penton, it revealed that it was one of the first 200.  

After selling the dealership, Charlie started selling antiques and eventually named his business Charlie Hawk's Junk Store, which existed in many locations, often simultaneously.  His most recent location was Middleport, OH.  Charlie was also featured on the History Channel show "American Pickers" last year.  If you remember the episode where Mike and Frank bought a leather jacket and pulled a condom out of the pocket, that was Charlie.

Charlie always remained involved in motorcycling and attended all types of events.  From Vintage Motorcycle Days and the AMA Concours D'Elegance, to the 2009 ISDTRR and many local races, no one was ever surprised to see Charlie.  And he was always looking forward to racing...any bike, anywhere.  Even last summer, Charlie could be seen riding his BMW throughout our area and, whenever possible, he stopped by to attend our weekly team meeting/lunch.

Charlie was also much more than his motorcycling exploits reflected.  He was his class valedictorian, an Air Force veteran, a Scout leader, a realtor...the list is endless.  Several years ago, before his health issues appeared, Charlie even held a wake for himself, declaring that it made no sense to have a celebration of someone's life without the guest of honor in attendance.  

To many, Charlie was "eccentric" and, by definition, I suppose he was.  To anyone that really knew Charlie, he was a free thinker and a free spirit, not bound by rules or conventions that hold so many of us back.  He loved to travel and always looked forward to new experiences.  He was a very thoughtful and generous person as well, and he retained an infectious enthusiasm and incredible memory until the very end.  

Charlie had been dealing with health issues for the last few years and passed away Tuesday at the age of 73.  He left behind a large family and many friends who will miss him dearly.  I feel confident saying that Charlie wouldn't want any of us to be upset over his passing...he got more out of his 73 years than a man could ever ask for.

Calling hours for Charlie will take place tomorrow (Monday) from 3-7pm at Jager's and Son's Funeral Home in Athens.  Charlie's obituary can be found on their web site:

http://www.jagersfuneralhome.com/index.cfm

TEAM PENTOVARNA
Kent Knudson
Kevin Brown
Gary & Toni Roach
James & Adam Giddings
Dennis & Cory Buttrick
TEAM PENTOVARNA
Kent Knudson
Kevin Brown
Gary & Toni Roach
James & Adam Giddings

Bud Green

Remembering Charlie and many fond memories playing in the "Mud" on Enduro Sundays.  May his family and friends remember the good times and think of him often.    Bud Green

ABORN

Charlie Hawk---What a guy he was.  I raced against him a couple times in 1960.  He rode a 650 cc Matchless and I was on my Triumph.  I cant remember seeing him again until the late sixties at a couple different Enduros.  I never met up with him again until around 2003 or 2004 at the Museum motorcycle shows and/or Hall of Fame Induction ceremonies.  In my opinion, Charlie was a very "down to earth" guy.  He seemed to always have a story to tell me.  I really appreciate having known Charlie and I will miss the occasional meetings with him.  May he rest in peace.  Al Born