Jackpiner jetting and stuck Ceriani.

Started by Dale Fisher, May 11, 2011, 08:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dale Fisher

Does anyone have some Jackpiner Amal jet suggestions?  Currently have a 240/106 combination installed.  Appears to be running rich but at full throttle bogs/sputters and no go.  Cracking the choke slightly improves low running.  Also have a 260 lower and two upper marked 105 although one is stepped internally and the top opening huge in comparison to the other.  Moved the needle up a notch but requires half choke to run.

Picked up a bike with the 35mm Ceriani forks stuck down.  Removed the front wheel to find only one side is sticking about 2-3" from full extension.  Had it filled with rust remover and now a combination of acetone/atf fluid but it's still not moving.  Do I need to try to take the internals out?

Dale Fisher
74 Berkshire 100
70 Six-Days 125
72 Jackpiner 175
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

Randy Kirkbride

Dale,
Save yourself some time & put a Bing on it.

Fork leg bent???

Dale Fisher

I'm like to give the original Amal a little more time and effort before scrapping it.

The Ceriani's are the heavy duty 35mm road race forks and the one sticking does not appear to be bent.  I had the lower end off and everything rotates but the internal shaft which looks fully extended does not move up and down.

I can't seem to access the search forum feature.  It comes up as a locked topic.

Dale Fisher
74 Berkshire 100
70 Six-Days 125
72 Jackpiner 175
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Mudlark Registry

john durrill

Dale,
Our first JP had an Amal on it out of the box. It worked well for the customer.
 Here is Johns recommendations for stock jetting .

The above should help some .

Al B. may have parts in stock .
 If not you can give Speed and Sport a call,
http://www.speedandsport.com/
or Hughs Bultaco
http://www.bultaco.com/
 and see if they have what you need.

best of luck,
john d.

G Ellis

The fork has had water in it. The slider tube is stuck,the lower tube is magnesium and has corrosion in it. THE inside of the lower tube has a brass bushing. Take the bolt out of lower tube at the bottom. Then heat up the lower tube at the top and pull it apart. Don't forget to take off the wiped boot first.  Later Gary

Dale Fisher

Thanks John that helps to identify the two sets of parts that came with the bike.  One installed, one in a parts bag.

I've worked some more with the fork.  Have the inner dampening rod moving now to full extension.  Something inside is binding though (possibly broke ring).  It bottoms out metal to metal.  I have taken the C clip off below although coaxing everything out the bottom with a broom handle and hammer won't move the bottom bushing to remove the assembly.  Try heat on the outer tube and try again?  The inner dampening rod will not come through the inside.

Dale Fisher
74 Berkshire 100
70 Six-Days 125
72 Jackpiner 175
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Mudlark Registry

Dale Fisher

Throwing in the towel.  Oil shot out the top of the fork and splattered the wall and floor.  Two bleeding fingers.  Bushing on the bottom that the dampening rod goes through won't budge even with some heat applied to the outside tube.  Can't get to the full dampening assembly to see if something is broken and causing the hang up.  The bottom-out spring is suspect.  [xx(]

Dale Fisher
74 Berkshire 100
70 Six-Days 125
72 Jackpiner 175
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Mudlark Registry

KJDonovan

Dale,

Before giving up on the forks, try filling the tubes with kerosene and letting them sit for a week.  I've used it several times in the past and is good at lubricating and disolving corrosion.

KD

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
71 Yamaha AT1 (Project)
73 Yamaha AT3 (Project)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Mickey Sergeant

I had the same problem. 25 years of rust. soaked for 3 months.What I ended up doing was having to take a piece of pipe that would slip over slide tube to get leverage to hammer out. Just make sure to protect tube and lip area where seals and snap ring go.The bushing and valve was all coroded. I was able to get the bushing out to save mine.

Mickey
74 Berkshire

G Ellis

Send it to me with all of the oil out. I will get it apart for you. Later Gary

Dale Fisher

Gary,
If you are coming to VMD I can bring it then.  More so into tearing the bike down for cleaning, engine work, and evaluation and identifying problem areas now.  It looks like the fork may have been a problem previously evidenced by hammer marks near the brake stay.  The left disfunctional fork is now slightly longer than the right. The right is operating perfectly and the spring is felt at full extension.  This is why I suspect the spring is broken and dragging inside.

Upon removal of the front wheel this "union made" message was unveiled.

writing appeared.

Dale Fisher
74 Berkshire 100
70 Six-Days 125
72 Jackpiner 175
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Mudlark Registry