Log Road AHRMA National/250Penton 1st day out

Started by Bob Bean, May 23, 2011, 05:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Bean

Well, the 1st trip out with the 74 250HS turned out to be a mixed bag.  

First off, I thought the power was a little soft off the bottom end.
Now that may be cause I've been riding the 400 a bunch, but I dont think so.  Decent mid range and not a lot on top end either.
Jetting is pretty good thruout and it runs clean.  (stock Bing, with High breather set up)

I once rode a 76 250HS with a Mikuni carb on it that RIPPED out of the corners..  Dont know if it was the carb or something else, but I wish this motor ran like that 76.

Had to clutch it out of too many corners.

Second.  Missed 3rd gear shifts wayy too often...  Not sure if its shifter length/placement or just something worn ?  Any 250 engine experts can chime in on this.  When missing the shift I would have to go back down to 2nd gear, then back to 3rd gear.    I like to shorten my Husky levers about an inch or more to help them, maybe this needs it too?

The works shocks were a little stiff at first (what 4 inch travel isnt), but got better by the 2nd moto and felt actually pretty good.
The front forks though will need some attention.  I for sure, didnt like the action of them.  Too harsh...  Maybe too heavy of oil...

My results ?  2nd place 50+ Expert.  Couldnt buy a holeshot if my life depended on it.  When the yellow light came on, I couldnt get the bike to go into 2nd gear... Just, grinding, grinding, grinding.
green light, everyone goes.. Bike pops into gear.. I take off dead last.  Glad that some of the guys up front played follow the leader, and my wide lines and stay on the gas longer,  moved past a bunch quickly.  Got into a great battle for 2nd place with Jeff, (one of the log road owners), for several laps we went at it hard.  Jeff of course kept hogging the good lines <G> and I kept trying in/out criss cross's and anything I could to make him nervous..  It finally worked and I got by.  But some guy on a big bore Maico (501 ?) was at least 4-5 seconds ahead with only a half a lap left and I was thinking 2nd moto at that time...

2nd moto rolls around.  
yellow light.  Keep revs down a little and get in gear ! Bike dies..
Arrrr...  Hand up.. Try to find neutral.. Green light..  Bike starts, Gate drops, I put in gear and once again..  wayyyy back..  Arrrr...

Work my way up to 4th thru the first few turns, then 3rd.. Mr Maico shows a wheel up on my inside..  He must of had a bad start too.
Then a bike goes down in front of us.  I miss 3rd gear, and Mr Maico goes by... Arrr.     Mr Maico is running 2nd and some fast guy on a Honda Cr250 is in the lead. (might of been that Jeff Beerdrinker owner again) <G>...  Anyway, I follow them for a lap or so and watch their lines and find a spot to pass them both at once..  White flag lap, I hog all the good lines that Mr Maico likes and am going to cruse to the win...    Untill.... Coming out of one corner about 4 turns from the finish, miss 3rd gear and it wont go in untill I drop back down to 2nd.  Of course Mr Maico pulls up even, waves and goes on by.  arrrrr.   up to 3rd gear,4th gear and decide to see if Mr Maico will make any mistake in the last couple of turns.  Close the gap, go wide trying to do a last turn pass,  Nope, Mr Maico closes the door and take the win and overall....   Arrrrrr.    <G>
Ohh, By the way.. That fast, smooth riding Maico rider was Rick Hudson...  He rode a great race...!

I also got to meet Dale Fisher and see his beautifull Berkie and Cheney up close.... WOW....   Dale is a cool guy from way back !

As to the Log Road track and the people running it..

This is one of the best run, nicest tracks you could ever find, anywhere !!!!!  It is an absolute shame, that more riders did not show up and ride.    The guys that prep this track know exactly what it takes... Perfect loamy 100% traction ! Rolling natural terrain, mixed in with a few easy table tops and small roller jumps, some off-camber turns, drop aways, some nice berm corners..   And PERFECT weather !!!
If they had a huge storm the night before, they could run the next day and have a perfect track...!  Seen it, done it..
I have raced many MX tracks around the country and would rate this one right up at the top of the list....

Anyone who doesnt come race one of their vintage events is plain missing out !

Bob Bean

1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

1973 Jackpiner 175
1974 Penton 250 Harescrambler
1976 Husky 250CR
1985 Husky 400WRX
1985 Husky 400WR
1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

G Ellis

Bob have you had the motor apart? I would think it to be the shifter dog, on the shifter shaft. If you run a 13/56 gearing you can start in second gear. If you need any other help give me a call. Later Gary    217 260 0237

Bob Bean

Gary,

It has 13 / 52 gearing and it takes off in 2nd gear, no problem.

Just had problems getting it to go into 2nd gear on the start line.
Kinda weird. I have never had a bike that did that before.

I have never had a Penton motor apart before, so dont know what kind of shifting system it uses.  I would guess a bent/worn shift fork
or worn dogs on the gears on any other bike.

Has anyone ever undercut the dogs on the gears on a Penton ?

Bob Bean

1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

1973 Jackpiner 175
1976 Husky 250CR
1985 Husky 400WRX
1985 Husky 400WR
1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

JP Morgen

Bob,
   The gears are undercut from the factory. Most people don't know that there is a neutral detent between second and third as well as between first and second, and you are having difficulty getting past it. Maybe something bent or worn as well. I usually weld up that detent on the shift drum. Check for a worn(ovalized) needle jet, can cause a rich condition and poor response. If good, and the bore and crank seals are good, then you need to port the cylinder to the factory Carl Cranke specs, and use the pipe that goes with it. I have the specs if you need them. Good luck, JP Morgen

Dale Fisher

Great day at the track!

Dale Fisher
74 Berkshire 100
70 Six-Days 125
72 Jackpiner 175
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

Bob Bean

JP,
A 2nd neutral detent ? Sure didnt know that.
That could well be my problem or at least adding to the problem.
I suppose you have to split the cases to do the drum weld up?

I would be interested in port specs you have.

Is it something you can email me ?

If so my email is actioncycle At sbcglobal dot net

Thanks,

Bob

1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

1973 Jackpiner 175
1976 Husky 250CR
1985 Husky 400WRX
1985 Husky 400WR