125 Six Day Muffler Question

Started by PentonRestoration, June 17, 2011, 02:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PentonRestoration

I have a 1972 125cc Six Day which I've owned since 1974.  It was in a shed for decades and I'm restoring it.  It has the 5A Sachs engine where the muffler pipe tucks in over the head (fins are trimmed back to make room for the pipe). It used to have a cover on the end which was held in place with springs.  Which unfortunately as a teenager, I removed and threw away.

So here's the question.  The pipe has large rust holes and what's left is too thin to work with.  I need a replacement pipe and I was wondering what if any mufflers from other production years will fit this bike?  

Sorry I'm I'm asking a noob question, I did try to search the site for this answer.

Thanks

Jerry
1972 125 Six Day
CRF150
CRF230
CRF450X
Jerry
1972 125 Six Day
CRF150
CRF230
CRF450X

OUCWBOY

Jerry,
I use circle F pipes. They are made specifically to fit your 6 Day, and they look great.

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

PentonRestoration

Donny,

Thanks for the reply.  I've seen the Circle F pipes and I like them. But I've also seen a few used and NOS pipes and was curious as to just how different the pipes are from year to year?  Did they really change that much from year to year from 72-?

Thanks again,

Jerry
1972 125 Six Day
CRF150
CRF230
CRF450X
Jerry
1972 125 Six Day
CRF150
CRF230
CRF450X

OUCWBOY

Jerry,
The 72 and 73 had the same pipe. I believe that they changed in 74 to where the end cone was a bolt on and not attached with springs. It could have changed in late 73

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

firstturn

Basically what Donny says is correct and all the CMF (chrome molly frame) model 100/125 pipes will interchange.  Like Donny said starting some time at the end of '73 or early '74 the end cap changed.  I have no 1972/3 NOS pipes.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh