Traveling to Barber

Started by Paul Danik, October 06, 2011, 07:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

Greetings,

I just read a nice email from Scotty Brogan telling of his trip on his KLR 650 heading to the Barber event, turns out he ran into POG member Cliff Cook and Ohio Valley BSA folks Bud and Barb Kubena at the motel last night. The reason for this post is to just remind folks that while traveling if you get near the Maggie Valley area in NC I would highly recommend stopping at the Wheels Through Time Museum,

http://wheelsthroughtime.com/

Scott mentioned how he was going to ride "The Gap" this morning and that isn't all that far from Maggie Valley.

To all you travelers, have a safe and fun trip :)  

Paul

desmond197

Is the museum still open. I thought that it had recently closed?

Kip Kern

How was Barber?  Any deals?  What was selling?

Paul Danik

Desmond,

Dale has said that he will be moving the Museum after this year, but the website gives the days and hours listed below for 2011.

Admission and Hours
2011 Museum Openings

April 2011
Open: Thursday-Monday
Hours: 10a.m.-5p.m.

May 1 - October 31, 2011
Open: Thursday-Monday
Hours: 9a.m.-5p.m.

Admission:

Adults: $12
Seniors (65 and up):  $10
Children: $6

Kip,

The Barber event is this weekend, the guys I spoke of are en route at this time.

Paul

Kip Kern

Thanks Paul, I didn't realize it was going on this weekend.  Just had my Tonsils removed and am kinda out of it (great drugs though)!  I would however, like to go to the Wheels Through Time Museum, I just bought a one owner "28" Harley JD and need to check out an original before I restore this one!  Thanks[:p]

thrownchain

I may tie it into my trip home, not far off I-81 and they are open on Monday.

desmond197

It is a great museum. Folks go check it out. Glad to hear it is still open.

rfpotter

Take the "Maggie Valley" exit off I-40 East, exit number #20 in North Carolina. It would be about 50 miles to that exit from where I-81 starts off I-40. Road is four lane, drive to the stop sign, turn right, museum is on right.

We had our first frost four nights ago, which turned the trees on. Starting to get the early fall colors, and the higher ridge tops are starting to show red/orange.

Patrick

thrownchain

Stopped in Maggie Valley on the way back from Barber, GPS brought me in from the south, US 64, US 19 thru the Cherokee National Forest and the Smokey Mountain National area, very nice, would have been a blast on a bike, alot of white water rafting areas along there and some zip line places mixed in.
The museum itself is pretty cool, the fact that all the bikes do run is quite a feat in itself, very friendly people there, and it was busy, but not really crowded while I was there. Took a fair group of pics, and bought the obglitory t-shirt {or two}. If you get close to there, check it out. [8D]

Cliff Cook

And a great meeting it was with Scott of POG and Bud and Barb of OVBSA.  Wife and I had just dismounted for the day and in comes Scott and Bud and Barb from differnt directions.  We hardly let them check in .  You know how it is in the "community".  No one could get out of their road gear before the comraderie was underway and we had some 300 miles yet to go to Barber.  It was only phase one of many beautiful days to come.  Thanks for helping us to kick it off right Scott.  Cliff

scott brogan

Hello all. I had an absolutely fabulous trip. Running into Cliff and Bud and their spouses was an added bonus.  Had a great ride 1775 miles. Rode the Dragon, but did not get a chance to do Maggie valley. Maybe next year.  Barber was a great event. A top notch facility. The staff is first rate. Swap meet not as big as mid-O, but no mud, no dust, no trash anywhere. And no disgruntled vendors.

And the museum Wow.