2013 ISDTRR Site Selection

Started by Steve Minor, November 04, 2011, 07:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

Who has the most influence in making the site selection for the ISDTRR?

I understand the 2012 will be at the Zink Ranch, outside of Tulsa. I've ridden there before and it's outstanding! My question is about the 2013 ISDTRR. Wouldn't it be great to hold it in Dalton, MA again? I rode the 2003 ISDTRR there, marking the 30th Anniversary of the 48th ISDT and think it would be great to hold the 2013 ISDTRR there too, marking the 40th Anniversary of the 48th ISDT.

To early to lobby?

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

Paul Danik

Steve,

Your feelings coincide with those of many others for 2013.  The areas that were used for riding in that area in 2003 are not near as available as they once were, to put it mildly.  Efforts are being made to host an event in 2013 that will give proper due to the historic anniversary and location of the 1973 ISDT.

Paul

wfopete

Never to early. I would get with the AHRMA CC or Off Road guys for a start. Director of Off-Road Competition is Fred Guidi ([email protected]) & the National Cross Country Coordinator is Teddy Landers ([email protected]). Jeff Debell or Dave Lamberth may have some good insite of this issue too. Go to this AHRMA site for more contact information: http://dev.ahrma.org/?page_id=120

I believe Arkansas has been the location because few clubs would step up to the plate. But also Mr. Leroy Winters.  The ride is in his memory, and Arkansas was his home stomping grounds. It takes more than picking a site. You know what they say; location, location, location. I think a major concern is having land that "fits" the spirit of the ISDT.  Don't ask me to define that though. Most of the time an ISDT had very demanding terrain & Arkansas certainly fills that requirement! Again, the two biggies are: Quality land has to be available AND you need a dedicated club to put together all the details. Some local cubs won't touch it unless they can make a buck off it but often it comes down to a scheduling conflict or just not having the club resources to take on the event. You would think clubs would be standing in line to have the chance to get this event.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

Michael Thompson

I am located in McArthur, Ohio where the 09 reunion ride was held. I would def like to see it come back here. I am a member of the club that also hosted the ride that year. I could almost bet that we would be up to the task again!

2007 KTM 525
1983 KTM 495
1983 YAMAHA IT250
1984 YAMAHA IT200
1976 SUZUKI RM370
1986 HONDA Z50 My first bike
Hope to add a PENTON soon!
[email protected]
2010 KTM 990 Adventure
1975 Penton 250 Hairscrambler
2018 Suzuki Rmz450
1982 Honda cr480
2008 Yamaha yz250
1996 Honda cr250
1998 Suzuki rm250
1988 Suzuki rm250
1978 Suzuki rm400
1973 Suzuki ts100

Lew Mayer

I'd like it in Ohio again. That's a reasonable drive for East Coast guys.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

454MRW

I would like to see it in Ohio again, and I am sure that the problems with the banquet meal would not be repeated. Steve Barber helped put on a very good event there just this past October 8-9th. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
1975 Can Am 175 TNT & 77 250 Black Widow
1979 Husqvarna OR390
1976-78 RM & 77-79 PE Suzuki's
1974 CR250M 07 CR125R 79 CR250R
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

Bob Bean

Ditto for Ohio.  Loved the terrain there.
If they have it there again, My 77 year old dad would come ride.
and he would probably bring a few buddies along as well.

Bob

1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

1970 125 Six Day
1973 100 Berkshire
1973 Jackpiner 175
1974 Penton 250 Harescrambler
1976 Husky 250CR
1985 Husky 400WRX
1985 Husky 400WR
1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

brian kirby

The Ohio tests were nice, but there was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much droning along on roads. I would not be inclined to go back if it remained mostly paved roads with a few miles of trails.

Brian
Brian

mike scholl

Hello All,

In my opinion where ever the 2013 event is held it will be a task to make everyone happy! The responses I read here have merit but to complain about the shortage of food at the banquet or the amount of road in between test during to 2009 Reunion Ride just shows how much the ride really meant to those individuals. Im sure if you asked the promoter (Club)they would have answers (Larger than expected turnout?) The time and location plays such a huge part of the ride and since most of the events have been on the east coast where the sun goes down fast in the fall which makes the decision even more difficult. The two most important things about the Reunion Ride are "Memory & Camaraderie"

I appreciate everything that the AMA,Penton Owners Group,AHRMA and all the orginizations have done for the sport!

Thank you,
Mike Scholl

dennis brown

i for one would like to see one out west! trask mt.

dennis l.brown
dennis l.brown

sixdazed

Mapquest says 17 hours and change from tucson to tulsa sounds like about 14 hours to me.Hope to drive to this one next year.

Ric.
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

brian kirby

I just want to clarify, I understand the land access issues the club at Ohio in '09 had and I think they did a great job, my comment was not meant to slight them or the effort they put out to host the '09 race. Their event ran flawlessly and the tests themselves were the best of any year Reunion Ride I've been too, but I am far from the only one that commented that weekend on the VERY long stretches of paved roads.

Brian
Brian

Paul Danik

I am responsible for some of the trail being removed and I would make the same decision over again if needed. It had rained very hard and a very nice trail section had a rather steep and clayish downhill at the beginning of it, in the pre-ride after the heavy rain the downhill looked as though it would be treacherous for the occasion rider, you guys who ride all the time would have been fine, but we have a very wide range of abilities and machinery to accommodate at the ISDTRR events. The concern was someone locking up their front wheel and going over the bars and possibly suffering not only an event ending injury, but possibly a riding career ending injury. Making these decisions is never easy, in my early days of being involved with these events Dick Mann spoke at great length at how things should be done and the criteria that he would use to make his decisions, so far I think he was pretty much spot on. There are and always will be comments and complaints, but for us that is part of the game and your input is used to help with future decisions.  When I prerode much of the event a few weeks ahead of time with Steve Barber it was fine, the heavy rain and southern Ohio clay just made it a little to risky, in my opinion. Should I have seen this possible scenario in the pre-ride with Steve, possibly, but I did not.

When the event wrapped up I am almost positive that we had no injuries, from where I stand that is very, very important.

We seem to have less of the older machines competing, is it because of less interest in the early vintage and premier machines, or is it because the trails are a bit tougher? That is a fine line question that is constantly looked at, any thoughts?

Steve Barber and his club did an outstanding job and we hope to be back at that location in the future.  

Thanks,
Paul

Steve Minor

Paul, and others....Please understand this is only my opinion but I feel the ISDTRR should be more of a "fun ride" than a super technical ride. Sure it's fun to test your skills and the ISDTRR should do that, but only to a certain degree. It was once explained to me, "the ISDTRR is an event for 50 year old riders on 30 year old bikes". That was a number of years ago, but I don't believe the "spirit" of the event has changed. I say make it enough fun that you'll think about it all year, and can't wait to do it again.

Like I always say, "The older I get, the better I was".

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

wfopete

Quotequote:Originally posted by Steve Minor

Paul, and others....Please understand this is only my opinion but I feel the ISDTRR should be more of a "fun ride" than a super technical ride. Sure it's fun to test your skills and the ISDTRR should do that, but only to a certain degree. It was once explained to me, "the ISDTRR is an event for 50 year old riders on 30 year old bikes". That was a number of years ago, but I don't believe the "spirit" of the event has changed. I say make it enough fun that you'll think about it all year, and can't wait to do it again.

Like I always say, "The older I get, the better I was".

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Agreed.  Although personally I like a challenging ride, when it comes to the ISDTRR; it's also about fun and as said earlier "Memory & Camaraderie".  You could be bike-less all weekend and still have a great time watching, chatting and just taking in the event. Many guys I've seen are not there for a competition shootout but rather the celebration of the event.

That's not to say that there cannot be a level of competition (after all, let's remember this is a points paying event).  That competition may be how willing you are to twist the throttle (your decision) as opposed to getting into a terrain condition that is above your ability (sometimes not so much your decision). I felt like the Combs event was one that anyone could survive as long as they knew their limits and how to use their brakes.  

You know it might be fun to have the October POG meeting on the Friday night after impound, for us guys who don't get up to Ohio-ville to often.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good