Carb for a 74 Six Days 125

Started by Kevin Zuchnik, December 16, 2011, 09:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Zuchnik

Just purchased a Six Days barn find and I'm looking for a bing carb with cables, boot from carb to airbox and air cleaner kit. If others have had good luck with other brands of carbs I'm open for suggestions.  Thanks in advance for the help.  Happy Holidays, Kevin
[email protected]

socalmx

Get a 30mm Mikuni spigot mount (I got one from ebay off a YZ100). Then go to Home Depot and buy the correct inner diameter clear plasic hose. You will have to re-route the fuel lines to come around the carb to the other side where the inlet spigot is located. I did this by running rubber hose down the right side to a formed piece of metal tubing (brake line)which went around the carb and down toward the spigot. I then used a short piece of rubber hose to conned the metal tube to the spigot. It will marry up to the stock air boot with a little cautious persuasion. Overall, it works great for me.

Kevin Zuchnik

Thanks socalmx for the advice and I'll get on ebay asap to obtain the Mikuni.  Thanks again for the help.

rob w

Kevin,
 You should be able to get the cables, air boot, filter cage and element from Al Buehner. http://www.pentonpartsusa.com
For a carb, I'm sure one will turn up pretty soon here.
Bob

Kevin Zuchnik

Thanks for the help, Bob.  I'm going to give Al a call on Monday.  Have a nice weekend.

Kevin

gooddirt

Do you have a early or late 74; later had D motors and different Carb set ups than the B .

DKWRACER

This may sound abit cautious at this point, but will post anyway:
My "Super Sachs Secrets" document has a modification for a 28mm Mik, in that respect, it shows how to hog out the internals of the manifold to approx, 28/29mm, leaving enough material to accomodate a simple clamp around a short piece of rad hose between the carb and manifold, I did this to my, with good results, if you fit a 30mm carb, my guess is that the bike will run, but maybe better at WOT due to the flow character of the modified/carb, if you stay within the limits of reliability and rideability, would not a 28mm Mik be the better choice?
Curious?
LT..........
Thomas Brosius

socalmx

I had a FMF/DKW 100 cc in 1974 which Uncle Donny ported and opened up the intake spigot about as far as you could go. I ran a 28mm screw cap Bing which performed very well. My current Penton sports a GS barrel and a 30mm Mikuni (spigot mount). The carb is butted right up to the end of the spigot and secured with a piece of clear plastic tubing and hose clamps. Using clear plastic tubing was common practice in the 70's and I have never had issues with it. Bike starts easy, runs clean, and revs to the moon so I have no complaints.

Kevin Zuchnik

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences and advice regarding a choice of carb for my Penton 125.  Your wisdom is greatly appreciated.  I'd like to wish everyone, especially POG members a wonderful, healthy, and Happy New Year.

All the best,

Kevin Zuchnik