Airbox Identification

Started by Keith Meatyard, December 31, 2011, 12:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Meatyard

These two airboxes came with my JP projects as extras.  The one on the left is the same as those on the 73 bikes.  The one on the right is narrower, and does not have a raised lip around the outside of the metal air horn mounting under the seat.  Is this a very early 72 JP airbox?

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

gooddirt

My data shows it as a later unit than the one on the left.

Kip Kern

Left is 72-early 73, right is frame breather 74 up.

Gavin Housh

Can the earlier model be modified to work on a high breather by removing the fiberglass lip around the top? Also what was used to seal the space between the frame and airbox on the high breather?

Randy Kirkbride

The 74-75 pipe won't fit with the older (wider) style airbox.

Keith Meatyard

Quotequote:Originally posted by Gavin Housh

Can the earlier model be modified to work on a high breather by removing the fiberglass lip around the top? Also what was used to seal the space between the frame and airbox on the high breather?
I have four different airbox types.  My two 73 non hi-breathers both have the box like the one on the left in the pics.  They both attach to the frame in three places, have two raised lips on top, and have the metal triangular air horn which attaches with two capscrews. My 73 hi-breather has a box that is identical to these except it does not have nutserts for fastening the air horn to the top, the outer lip around the top opening is shorter, and a foam triangular gasket about 3/8 - 1/2 thick seals between the top of the box and the bottom of the frame under the seat.  My 74 hi-breather airbox is the same width as the 73's, but does not have the outer lip around the top opening or the two nutserts.  It too utilizes the foam gasket.  One other slight difference I notice is the length of the very bottom of the box is longer than the others, the very bottom of the tire clearance indention is closer to the tire.  I took a photo of this to possibly show the difference.  Now, that airbox on the right in my first pics is the narrow one and has the two nutserts and had a metal air horn like the 73's bolted on.  It does not have a nutsert on the right side for bolting to the tab on the frame like the airbox on the 74.  It was an extra, so I don't have any idea what it came from.
Here's pics of the 74 mounted, and a side view of the 73 type.  Notice the difference in length of the very bottom.

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

gooddirt

Smaller air box was used on the later longer travel  swingarm  set up for chain clearance 74.5 onward. Uses foam for sealing on frame.