Parcel shipping........

Started by Paul Danik, January 10, 2012, 12:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Bridges

I always use delivery confirmation  and tracking when I ship. The people at the post office told me that they can only track to the country that is being shipped to and that countrys postal system take over from there. Some countrys have good tracking systems and some don't. They could not tell me which countrys track and which ones don't. Probably not a big issue unless you are selling on ebay and come across some one who wants a free part. If they claim they did not receive it and you have no proof they did, ebay will force you to reimburse them.

Doug Bridges
73 Jackpiner
74 Rickman Zundapp
78 Suzuki PE175
82 XR200R
Doug Bridges
73 Jackpiner
74 Rickman Zundapp
78 Suzuki PE175
82 XR200R

OUCWBOY

Quotequote:Originally posted by thrownchain

Delivery confirmation inside the US is $.70, not alot for piece of mind.

If you go to the USPS web site and setup an account, the delivery confirmation is FREE!!!!

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Paul Danik

Thanks to all of sharing their information.

Paul

Keith Meatyard

This shipping stuff is getting to be ridiculous.  I purchased a 175 Jackpiner pipe from an individual in Nashville, TN, and didn't really put much thought into the UPS fee.  Saw the bill today to ship this lightweight pipe from Nashville to Alabama on the gulf coast. I would've guessed around $20.  Wrong!!  Try $ 82.62 for a box, some packing mat'l, and the residential ground charge, not overnite, not 2 day, just ground.

Holy cow

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

thrownchain

I know alot of stuff I've bought and sold on e bay, sometimes the shipping is more than the cost of the item. The bulky things can get expensive, so be prepared.

Mick Milakovic

I just sold a KDX 200 motor, about 55#, and shipped it to Louisiana for $38, USPS Parcel Post with delivery confirmation.  Some eBay shippers gouge and don't research the best price.

Mick
Mick

Keith Meatyard

Mick is right on.  When you use the online UPS shipping calculator, you can enter a weight, but not package dimensions.  The kid in the UPS store told me that when the odd size package (15x15x48) is figured in at the UPS store, the charge changes from $ 25 to $ 58.  So, I went online to the USPS calculator.  Mick, the charge for the same package USPS parcel post is $ 19.02.  Sure will remember this in the future.

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

Dwight Rudder

NEVER TRUST THE POST OFFICE !  Once it took 7 months to ship a cylinder from Jackson, MS to Pensacola, Fl.
Another time they lost a set of shocks through a hole in the box and just delivered the box with no contents.
Another time they lost a gold ring being shipped from GB to USA. Delivered empty envelope. Had a hole in corner.
They will not make good on their insurance either.  Nor take any resposibilty for rough handling, theft or destruction of contents.
How is that for horror stories ? :(

rob w

Today - wrapped a Six-Day frame and swing arm with shrink wrap, and took it to a UPS main terminal for a shipping quote.

UPS Ground (cheapest way), Michigan to California

GET READY FOR THIS...

$200.96

[:0] ! [:0] ! [?]

Gavin Housh

Bob don't tell me you sold your 75 frame to the guy in SF looking for a 75? I emailed about that frame some time ago and never got a response. Oh well just one more project I don't have to finish. I would like to take some measurments off one of those frames so I can make one out of a 74. Duplicating the swingarm is mostly what I'm needing to do. The frame and shock mounts are the easy part.

Mick Milakovic

Bob, I don't think USPS is much cheaper, shipping frames is ridiculous!

Dwight, everyone can tell horror stories about somebody or something; I can do the same for UPS (they are the only ones who've ever broken something I've shipped).  I'm sorry you've had bad luck, but in my 10 years of selling online I've had one item claimed lost, and that was when I did not use delivery confirmation.  For another dollar, which the buyer has to pay, you can make it be a SIGNED delivery, which means the buyer has to be present to take posession.  

I once had a Spanish buyer try to say he did not get his Bultaco parts.  The sale was for a couple hundred dollars, and I used USPS with their overseas tracking numbers.  Now, I know why many people won't do overseas shipping, because of the hassles, and this buyer was one of those who kept insisting he did not get his parts.  I gave him the USPS tracking numbers, told him he had to go to his postal office (where new tracking numbers from that country will take place) and file a claim.  I then told him the police would come to his door to ask questions, and from that point on I received no contact!

I don't think there is such a think as the perfect shipper, but for me USPS has worked well.

Mick
Mick

lmroberts36

I agree with Mick that the USPS is probably one of the best ways to go with shipping to non-US addresses. Over the past 5 years I have shipped one hundred or so of my compression tester systems throughout the world using USPS Priority Mail International, Insured. They have gone to Russia, UK, Singapore, Australia, Norway, France, China and many other locations and there has never been a case of non-receipt of a package.

As someone said, when printing the shipping labels on line, delivery confirmation is free, so depending on the receiving countrys handling of the tracking, you can usually track through to the delivery of a package.

No, I don't work for the USPS.:D

Larry Roberts, Mont Alto, PA
1973 Penton 125 Six-day
1991 Mazda RX-7 Turbo track car
Larry Roberts, Mont Alto, PA
1973 Penton 125 Six-days(Sold)
1984 Honda V65 Magna (sold)
1991 Mazda RX-7 Turbo track car
http://rotarydiagnostics.com

Paul Danik

I just did a check on eBay for shipping prices on frames, many list from $ 50.00 to $ 100.00, I wonder if they are unaware of the prices or have a better way to ship them?

Paul

Mick Milakovic

Paul, I think many of those sellers are showing a cheap shipping price then charging a lot for the frames.  That way they obsorb their shipping loss into the cost of the frame and still make money.  

Cheapest frame I ever shipped was a Husqvarna with no swingarm, and that cost $120.

Mick
Mick

rob w

Quotequote:Originally posted by Gavin Housh

Bob don't tell me you sold your 75 frame to the guy in SF looking for a 75? I emailed about that frame some time ago and never got a response. Oh well just one more project I don't have to finish. I would like to take some measurments off one of those frames so I can make one out of a 74. Duplicating the swingarm is mostly what I'm needing to do. The frame and shock mounts are the easy part.

It may be, I'm not sure, I know he'd like to find a '75 frame - but this one is a 409xxxxx. A 75 Six-Day frame is usually either a 411 or 412.
Anytime you need help with pictures, or dimensions off of a '75 Six-Day, just let me know. I'm finishing up one for a friend (see "what did you do with your Penton today" page 9), and I'll always keep the other one I have (possibly my Hiro project)
Bob