Parcel shipping........

Started by Paul Danik, January 10, 2012, 12:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

I'll compare with Fed-Ex today, but don't think I'll try Greyhound again, just ask MRW. He's just over one state, and it took about a month, and several phone calls on his part to keep it moving.

TeamSunset

For small parts, we have used USPS priority for the past five years and have never lost a single domestic package. We have shipped internationally to over 50 different countries and have only lost one package to date. We have a postage scale for weighing parts & packages and print all postage online. When you create postage online its very easy to track your packages thru the USPS website. USPS offers tracking on all priority packages except Small Flat Rate Boxes and Envelopes, which they only show postal acceptance and processing info. USPS estimated delivery time is 6-10 business days, but if Customs pulls a package for random inspection, it can take up to 30-business days to deliver (and Customs generally uses all 30-business days). Foreign Customs will also hold a package at the customer's local post office for pick-up if import tax needs to be collected. Tell your customer to check there first... and definitely DO NOT refund them until after 30-BUSINESS DAYS. Also, if an international customer asks you to declare a low value or gift on Customs papers, keep in mind that if the item is lost or damaged, you can only make an insurance claim for the declared value amount... You potentially risk losing your money only to save the customer money. Hope these tips help!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

lmroberts36

Indeed, they do help. Only had one non-US package that seemed to be lost only to find out that the Greek civil servants were off for 2 weeks and no customs activities were conducted during that period. And you wonder why some European countries are in financial trouble.  Package was finally delivered weeks after it should have been.

I've been asked to undervalue the contents of a package but only did that once 'til I realized the potential consequences of doing that. Now on my web site I state that this practice is likely illegal and that we will not undervalue or misrepresent the contents of a package. No one has asked us to do that since.

Larry Roberts, Mont Alto, PA
1973 Penton 125 Six-day
1991 Mazda RX-7 Turbo track car
Larry Roberts, Mont Alto, PA
1973 Penton 125 Six-days(Sold)
1984 Honda V65 Magna (sold)
1991 Mazda RX-7 Turbo track car
http://rotarydiagnostics.com

rob w

Quotequote:Originally posted by rob w

Today - wrapped a Six-Day frame and swing arm with shrink wrap, and took it to a UPS main terminal for a shipping quote.

UPS Ground (cheapest way), Michigan to California

GET READY FOR THIS...

$200.96

[:0] ! [:0] ! [?]

Fed Ex was $19 less - or $181. Mostly has to do with distance, but in my opinion still outrageous.

TeamSunset

For large shipments, complete motorcycles etc... I have used U-Ship in the past a few times (google U-Ship for website). It's works like an ebay auction, but for for shipping services. Only instead of the bid prices increasing, as the bids come in, the prices go down. It works. If you try it, just make sure you review the shippers feedbacks and insurance before accepting their bid.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

acemoto

If you can arrange you  shipment to meet the US Postal service size and weight rules you will find that they are far far less than FedX or UPS

example I just shipped a Gas Tank to Australia the cost to ship by UPS was almost 275.00
I walked the same box over to FedX and they were over 300.00 I went over to US Post office
and they were under 70.00 dollars , I did have to reduce the box down by 2 inches in length and about 1.5 inches in width.
That ment pulling out some bubble wrap , however in the end the package arrived in good shape and I received positive feed back from the buyer

thrownchain

I've used USPS International Priority flatrate into Australia, New Zealand, Europe and Canada with no problems. The one to New Zealand weighed 20 lbs and got there safely and the last one I sent to Australia took 9 days.

wfopete

Sounds like FedEx & UPS have too much business and for some capitalistic dude, an opportunity in the waking.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

gooddirt

That's why the USPS runs 5 Billion in the RED.

Mick Milakovic

Just finished a potentially bad issue on eBay, but becasue of delivery confirmation and patience it turned out well.

I shipped a box to Hawaii parcel post (ground) through USPS with delivery confirmation.  14 days after shipping (normal delivery to Hawaii for ground) the buyer opened a case with me for not delivering on a paid-for item.  I had supplied delivery confirmation numbers, but had entered a couple of wrong numbers.  The buyer never contacted me, but went straight to grievance.  If he would have contacted me first I would have found the mistake and we would not have been in grievance.  I corrected the numbers, and found the package to be in Honoulu, set for delivery the next day.

To make a long story short, I won the case and the buyer gave me positive feedback, all because delivery confirmation worked.  I'm not saying it's perfect and works evey time, but most of the time it does.

Mick
Mick

pclipper

Priority Mail flat rate is great for heavy items. But for medium-sized stuff that won't go flat rate, I find that FedEx Ground is way cheaper than UPS, and usually gets there faster. You can insure FedEx and all, and I've never had them lose anything.