2012 NEPG RD 1,2,3,4, -- RD5 Cajun Classic

Started by Ernie Phillips, January 30, 2012, 01:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie Phillips

Steward Baylor broke the ice on the 2012 AMA Rekluse National Enduro Series by taking a surprise win at round one of the series in Sumter, South Carolina. In the same manner that Charlie Mullins did two years ago, Baylor came into the race as a privateer and flying well under the radar, however the 17-year-old rode a spectacular race despite a hard crash in the fourth test and claimed the upset win over a stacked field of factory-backed Pros. Baylor won three tests in all and finished the race with a 40-second advantage over second place.

1  STEWARD BAYLOR JR 25:04

2  MICHAEL LAFFERTY  25:44

3  CHARLES MULLINS   26:44

4  CORY BUTTRICK   26:56

5  BRAD BAKKEN  28:58

6  RUSSELL BOBBITT  30:30

POG members competing

+50A
22 Dwight Rubber  71:09

250B
13 Christopher Phillips  74:46

more info at http://www.moto-tally.com/nepg/results.aspx

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

tooclose racing

Wow - I really find the difference in times between the Pros and two fairly fast guys (Dwight and your son) just jaw-dropping.  And your note that Baylor beat the (regular) Pros BAD over a few sections just makes his performance that much more amazing.

And did you see where his 14 YR OLD BROTHER Grant took 12th overall, 2nd A rider overall?

Thanks for the link to the timing, Ernie - I haven't looked at that kind of info lately.  Very interesting.  Congrats on Christopher's 64th overall in B - if he'll accept the Kudos. :D  Kee-rist, it must be competitive in these events.

And Dwight Rudder - you are still The Man, The Myth.

wfopete

In retrospect, suppose an invitation was sent out for a National Enduro event to these first thru sixth place finishers AFTER they turned 50+.

How many do you think would even show up let alone finish?

No disrepsect to these guys but more of a tip of the hat to Dwight and those in his league.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

Ernie Phillips

Greensboro, GA, Feb. 19, 2012 – Steward Baylor claimed his second win in a row with an impressive performance at this weekend's Cherokee National Enduro, round two of the AMA Rekluse National Enduro Series in Greensboro, Georgia.  After taking a surprise win in the sand at the series opener in South Carolina, the Fly/RidePG/WP Racing USA/Leatt/KTM sponsored Baylor backed it up with a solid performance in the Georgia mud, finishing nearly two minutes clear of second place finisher Cory Buttrick in an event that went from challenging to treacherous after heavy rains the night before.

1   STEWARD BAYLOR JR 47:05
2   CORY BUTTRICK     48:55
3   MICHAEL LAFFERTY  49:04
4   RUSSELL BOBBITT   49:12
5   JORDAN ASHBURN    50:08
6   NICK FAHRINGER    51:16
7   CHARLES MULLINS   54:31
8   JASON THOMAS      54:55
9   JESSE GROEMM      55:57
10   CHRISTOPHER BACH  56:49

POG members competing

+50A
12 Dwight Rubber 98:53

250B
12 Christopher Phillips 94:41  

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

Dwight Rudder

Tore a abductor groin muscle in the second section and now my thigh is black and blue.  Man, did that burn. Slowed me down quite a bit in the later sections.

Ernie Phillips

Dwight,

Sorry to hear about you injury - get well soon.  How about getting out of the parking lot?  I helped Debbie hook up your trailer but looked like you might have needed a tractor to get you to terra-not-so-greasy.  

Christopher rode row 19 and got to see the Pros in action (as they passed him).  He said he was moving along pretty sporty (or so he thought) when Nick Fahringer blew by and said to himself, 'There is no way Nick is going to make that turn."  Nick locked 'er down, both end sliding wildly, bike sideways ... with no hope of recovery on that snot slick Georgia clay.  Somehow he gathered it up and made the turn and was gone.  I too watched in amazement at how fast these guys go.  

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

Dwight Rudder

We got out with a little push from our neigbors.
I got roosted by Nick in last section and got hit in right eye by roost. Half my eye is blood red. Tonight BOTH my inner thighs are bruised up.

Ernie Phillips

Buttrick Wins Sandlapper National Enduro

Salley, SC – Factory FMF/KTM rider Cory Buttrick took his first win in a dominating fashion at the third round of the AMA National Enduro Series held in Salley, SC.

When the scores were tallied there was no doubt that Buttrick was the strongest rider of the day. He won two of the six special tests and took the victory by a margin of 38 seconds over fellow KTM rider Steward Baylor. From the start to the finish Buttrick held the lead until he was finally awarded his first season win at the conclusion of the sixth test.

This win marks the 20 year-old's third career AMA National Enduro win. "It feels really good to come out here and finally get a win," remarked Buttrick. "I feel like all of my training and discipline has been paying off back home and I have finally proven it on the track. My goal this year is to win the championship and this win helps point me in the right direction."

Overall Results –
1. Cory Buttrick  (35:27) 2. Steward Baylor  3. Mike Lafferty  4. Russell Bobbitt  5. Kailub Russell  6. Thad Duvall  7.  Jordan Ashburn  8. Brad Bakken  9. Jesse Groemm  10. Shane Hufford

POG members competing

+50A
31 Dwight Rubber 85:03

250B
10 Christopher Phillips 74:55

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

Ernie Phillips

Buttrick Wins Sandlapper National Enduro

Salley, SC – Factory FMF/KTM rider Cory Buttrick took his first win in a dominating fashion at the third round of the AMA National Enduro Series held in Salley, SC.

When the scores were tallied there was no doubt that Buttrick was the strongest rider of the day. He won two of the six special tests and took the victory by a margin of 38 seconds over fellow KTM rider Steward Baylor. From the start to the finish Buttrick held the lead until he was finally awarded his first season win at the conclusion of the sixth test.

This win marks the 20 year-old's third career AMA National Enduro win. "It feels really good to come out here and finally get a win," remarked Buttrick. "I feel like all of my training and discipline has been paying off back home and I have finally proven it on the track. My goal this year is to win the championship and this win helps point me in the right direction."

Overall Results –
1. Cory Buttrick  (35:27) 2. Steward Baylor  3. Mike Lafferty  4. Russell Bobbitt  5. Kailub Russell  6. Thad Duvall  7.  Jordan Ashburn  8. Brad Bakken  9. Jesse Groemm  10. Shane Hufford

POG members competing

+50A
31 Dwight Rubber 85:03

250B
10 Christopher Phillips 74:55

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

Dwight Rudder

I crashed big time in last section, not that I was having a good day anyway. I got stuck twice, Got pole vaulted off the bike when I hit a 3ft. tree limb and it fliped up into the swingarm and tire. Got lost then got hung up in a hog wire fence. THEN, I was going good in last section when I hit a hidden stump in the sand and pine straw. I endoed and wadded up my Husky. I finally came to rest with the bike laying across my legs and me looking at skid plate. When I got out from under the bike I had red, black and white plastic strown for 20 feet and my clutch lever bracket was broken.  I had to ride the remainer of the section in first and second gear being careful not to stall the bike.  I am having to replace all the plastic on my bike except the headlight and front fender. It is either gouged, cracked, shattered or broken. I was lucky it didnt get the radiator or pipe. Me, I'm a bit stove up and bruised. Just not my day for sure.

fasmith

Quotequote:Originally posted by Dwight Rudder

I crashed big time in last section, not that I was having a good day anyway. I got stuck twice, Got pole vaulted off the bike when I hit a 3ft. tree limb and it fliped up into the swingarm and tire. Got lost then got hung up in a hog wire fence. THEN, I was going good in last section when I hit a hidden stump in the sand and pine straw. I endoed and wadded up my Husky. I finally came to rest with the bike laying across my legs and me looking at skid plate. When I got out from under the bike I had red, black and white plastic strown for 20 feet and my clutch lever bracket was broken.  I had to ride the remainer of the section in first and second gear being careful not to stall the bike.  I am having to replace all the plastic on my bike except the headlight and front fender. It is either gouged, cracked, shattered or broken. I was lucky it didnt get the radiator or pipe. Me, I'm a bit stove up and bruised. Just not my day for sure.

Dwight ... I rode cleanup in that section... I think I saw the stump that got you... what told me that it was the stump was a couple of pieces of broken plastic on the ground just beyound it, the scar on the stump and the pretty nicely dug up ground where you and the bike met Mother Earth afterwards.   If it makes you feel any better - this coming weekend I am taking a chainsaw to the stump when we do our cleanup of arrows, ribbons and various other chores after the enduro.  Now hopefully you know that in my section - the third test - you may have noticed Allen and I painted every stump with orange paint to alert riders  - we walked the entire section just to get the dangerous stuff marked.   I feel bad that you got caught by one that somehow got missed in that section.

Dwight Rudder

[/quote]

Dwight ... I rode cleanup in that section... I think I saw the stump that got you... what told me that it was the stump was a couple of pieces of broken plastic on the ground just beyound it, the scar on the stump and the pretty nicely dug up ground where you and the bike met Mother Earth afterwards.   If it makes you feel any better - this coming weekend I am taking a chainsaw to the stump when we do our cleanup of arrows, ribbons and various other chores after the enduro.  Now hopefully you know that in my section - the third test - you may have noticed Allen and I painted every stump with orange paint to alert riders  - we walked the entire section just to get the dangerous stuff marked.   I feel bad that you got caught by one that somehow got missed in that section.
[/quote]

Never saw the stump. Just all the shattered plastic strown about. CHOP THAT BABY UP !   LOL.

Ernie Phillips

WEST POINT, TN (April 22, 2012) – Steward Baylor wins again.  3 wins out 4 so far!  The kid is cookin'.  
Top 5:  Baylor  14:50, Bobbitt 16:44, Lafferty 17:29, Buttrick 19:03, Fahringer 19:22

http://www.moto-tally.com/NEPG/Results.aspx

POG members competing

+50A:  18 Dwight Rubber 64:03

250B:    8 Christopher Phillips 52:55

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

Tennessee Vol

Ernie,
 Here is a great NEPG produced Video from the Rad Dad at Westpoint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW5DiGVasXI&feature=player_embedded

I would like to also thank Jack Penton and Mark Hyde and KTM USA, they were the faces of the Family Enduro we had on Saturday.

It is pretty neat when the National Enduro riders (Bobbit,Lafferty,Buttrick etc) are on the trail working the checks and chearing the kids and trail riders on.It was a huge success.

Sorry I missed you Ernie,I got to see Gary Ellis he was pit crew for Rachel Gutish a Super Super fast 16 year old girl from his neck of the woods.But their was so many people you could not see everyone.

Please try to put Westpoint on your Race schedule in 2013 or if anyone is interested in joing our NATRA club you can ride near 100 miles of trail year round for a entire family yearly membership of $55.00!!!

Bobby Stults
Bobby Stults

Ernie Phillips

Cajun Classic May 6, 2012

Baylor again.  Man, that kid is quick!  But, Mr. Lafferty kept him honest.  Cory B. crashed.  Hope he is OK.  Hot and dusty.  Dwight had a good ride in spite of t-boning a tree.  Christopher continues to improve.

1. Steward Baylor (KTM)  44:08
2. Michael Lafferty (Hsb)  44:41
3. Andrew DeLong (Hsq)  46:26
4. Jesse Groemm (KTM)  46:40
5. Russell Bobbitt (KTM)  46:44
+50A:  11 Dwight Rudder  (Hsq)  75:21
250B:  5 Christopher Phillips (YAM)  61:52  

Bojo,  We had a great time at Rad-Dad.  Thanks to you and NATRA!  -EP

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN