First serious competition rig

Started by Steve Minor, February 03, 2012, 09:29:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

socalmx

Quotequote:Originally posted by sixdazed

First car/truck/hauler 1957 ford ranchero with big block v8.First "serious" racer 1973 honda cr125m-one of the first 75 pre production bikes.Wish i had them both back.
                                            Ric
I was out at Indian Dunes on a weekday in 1973 when Honda was there with the prototype CR125 and CR250. I watched them test them most of the day and a friend of mine actually got to bum a ride on the 250. About a year later, I was at Jawbone Canyon on a Friday and Honda showed up with the prototype XL250 to test. They didn't stick around too long once we started snooping around.

socalmx

Correction: It was a year earlier in 1972 when I saw the XL250

socalmx

For me I went from a Honda SL100 to a DKW 100 in the spring of 1974. Race vehicle was a 1967 International Harvester truck with a 220 straight six with 3 speed, 8 ft. cabover camper, and pulling a 3 rail motorcycle trailer. If you know Southern California, I used to floor the truck coming out of San Bernardino and by Cajon Pass I was in second gear going 35 mph at best.

jeff greenberg

1971 Chevy station wagon pulling a little Dude trailer with a SL-100 on it!  Yikes!

Randy Kirkbride

My first Bike-Hauler was a '57 Pontiac Safari 2-door Station Wagon with a piece of 4" channel-iron bolted to the rear bumper.

checkcrew

this will make you guys laugh :

17 yrs old in 1974,
 65 Rambler station wagon 6 cyl, 3 on the tree lasted 2 weeks, cut a hole in the floor and put in a Hurst floor shifter, removed the muffler and installed a Cherry Bomb with a long flex pipe coming out in front of the right rear wheel, as many cycle stickers as i could get in the back window, 3 rail trailer "Lil-Dude"
71 AT1MX set up for dirt track,
God i loved those days !!!!!!!!!!!!!

here is a shot of me on the Yamaha # 144, Elkton, Md   D-7 scrambles,

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

tomale

first hauler, a 51 ford pickup. It use to have a flat head straight 6 and a 3 on the tree. but I blew it up and we put a small block V 8 with a 2 speed auto.. The bike was a 1970 Montesa 360. It must have been funny to watch me ride that thing, it weight twice what I did.. I could not have been more than 5'2" at the time.  It was the heaviest bike I have ever rode at 250 pounds.
Dad kept the P/U and I bought a 65 Chevy suburban. that thing took me to alot of races. Not a care in the world but when was the next race.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
74'250 hare scrambler (project)
74' 1/2 440 maico
78' 440 maico
72' cr125 Husky (project)
93' RMx 250 suzuki

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

tvrc18

That exhaust pipe looks pretty flat on the bottom on that Yammy.

checkcrew

yes it does but it came from the factory that way,

the pipe is the right side pipe from a Yamaha TD-2 factory road race bike, they are flat on each side for clearance, the motor was built by Don Vesco with that pipe set-up, it was fast as hell and bullit proof, the frame had the lowering mods as well and the back bone was cut and a 4" dia. section of pipe welded in so i could use the long K&N air filter right off the back of the carb, it ran as strong as a Noguchi but easier to get parts for :-)))

hope that clears the pipe issue for ya ;)

thanks,

Quotequote:Originally posted by tvrc18

That exhaust pipe looks pretty flat on the bottom on that Yammy.

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

Cliff Cook

Hauler - 1967 Chevy van with motor cowl between the seats. Van was painted with school bus yellow and white combo.  Bought used and front tires squeeled driving it home.  Yep, I said front tires.  Got under it to look see, and noted that the PO had broken a tie rod and welded it right across the threads.  Both wheels pointed outward for negative tow in.  Bought a tie rod , installed it, and pointed the tires the direction they were supposed to go.
I am still learning lessons about buying cars/ trucks.

MC - 69 Yamaha DT1 tied down against the motocowl with chains and S hooks over the handlebars.

Mick Milakovic

Forgot about another one my brother had, white '67 Dodge van that used to be a florist shop (you could still see part of the logo), he painted a huge similie face on it and then wrote "Have a Maico Day!"

Mick
Mick

checkcrew

Cliff, hi,

i guess there is a time in a person's life when they should just own up to the fact that they never get rid of anything - should i say compulsive saving  :-))))

i STILL have my origional bike hold down chains with their S-hooks attached just like you described - LOL -

God help me :-)))

Quotequote:Originally posted by Cliff Cook

MC - 69 Yamaha DT1 tied down against the motocowl with chains and S hooks over the handlebars.

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

t20sl

In 1966 a 1961 TRIUMPH T20SL 200cc mountain cub.  Still have it, totally restored to new.  Next was a new 1969 Penton 125 kitted to 152cc.  Then a new 1971 Honda SL125 kitted to 175cc plus. Ted