Need help with Lectron carb...slide stuck!!

Started by MonkeyBoy, May 02, 2002, 03:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MonkeyBoy

The slide on my Lectron carb (250 engine) is stuck and won't budge even after soaking it overnight.  What can I do?

Edited by - MonkeyBoy on 05/02/2002  8:57:06 PM

Joetravelall

I just had one I picked late last year that had the same problem. I used every penetrating oil I could thing of. Soaking it down everday for a couple of weeks without much luck. I finaly took it to a motorcycle machine shop "Motorcycle Specalist" just around the corner from the house. They gave up after 15 min., but the owner came over and took a hard piece of nylon and drove the slide off the metering rod holder. Then took a pair of needle nose vise grips and turned the metering rod. The metering rod fell out after that.
 (Plaese do not use a screwdriver to pry the slide free. The previous owner did on mine and it gouged the face of the slide and the body of the carb as well as a large chunk is gone from the base of the slide.) You realy do not want to go there.  
 More than likely your carb still had gas in it when it was stored just like the one I have and the gas dried in the metering rod tube and now the metering rod it is now frozen in the tube. I would completely submerge the carb body in WD40 or PB laster or Kroil for a week or so. Tapping on the metering rod tube ever with a screwdriver handle a few times a day.

Joe Rhodes
Joe Rhodes