Problem with assembling kick starter ratchet

Started by Grunbay, February 23, 2012, 05:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grunbay

After collecting the requisite panoply of shims to get my endplay within tolerances, I finally started putting the engine together (thinking it's the last time) but I seem to have done something wrong with the starter ratchet because the ratchet is continuously clicking as I turn the layshaft. I followed the somewhat obscure directions in the Penton manual and the Clymer book, but something is not right.

It seems pretty simple: Put in the shim, place the spring and the ratchet on, insert shaft (being certain to not displace shim) turn 3/4 to right, lock under kick stop, assemble cases.

Has anyone experienced this before that could possibly suggest how I have put this together wrong?

John T. Gurley
Falmouth Maine
John T. Gurley
Falmouth Maine

Kip Kern

I am asssuming you are talking about a Sachs engine?  If so, it takes 2, 1mm shims in the kickstart area and too, make sure the spring is inserted in the hole "behind the raising curve" not in front of it.  Also takes a 1mm shim under the starter gear at the cases.  I could show you in 2 minutes, almost impossible to explain on the net, sorry!

Grunbay

Sorry, the engine in question is a Sachs 6B.

Thanks Kip. I think I have the shims where they belong, but I'll double check. I'm not sure what you mean by "behind the rising curve", but I'll look it over.

John T. Gurley
Falmouth Maine
John T. Gurley
Falmouth Maine

Kip Kern

There are 2 holes on the ratchet gear where you can place the kicker spring, the correct hole is the one behind the uphill curve not in front of it.  Also, make sure you place the spring properly in the case too.  There are several choices and most folks get it wrong.Have fun;)