Bing 27 mm Choke

Started by Mike Bower, May 12, 2012, 04:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Bower

First, I need to say how sorry I am to here of the passing of Al Born. I unfortunately never met Al, but through the POG newsletter, I got to feel like I new him. Huge loss for the Penton community.

The subject of this post is about the "wax-like material" in the "starter slide assembly" (cable actuated choke) of a 27mm Bing carb. My Sachs is running like Al B. mentioned in his Tech notes on his website. ie.

"Bing Carburetors with side choke: Check the starter slide (part #0686-100-000) to make sure that the wax like material is still on the bottom of the slide. This material seals off the opening of the small orifice in the bottom when the choke lever is not being used. If this material is missing, it is the same as having the choke lever open all the time. EXAMPLE: the bike will start right up and run great when engine is still cold - as soon at engine warms up, it will start sputtering, blubbering, and billowing smoke out of the exhaust pipe."

So my question is, what is this "wax-like material" and how can I replace it, because it's no longer there...

vitaminT

New ones are available on Ebay. Genuinenos. I've tried to fill the void with silicone with some success but the new ones are inexpensive and they are better than the old ones or bebuilt one.

Mike Bower

Thanks VitaminT. Didn't think of silicone. I'll buy the genuinenos part. The part # is different from my Penton/ Sachs manual, but looks the same. AS long as the O.D. is 10mm.

gooddirt

If racing the bike I would not trust the 40 year old wax ; been there.

harrO

Hi Mike. That 'wax like' material quickly disintegrated on my rebuild also and with the same result. I made a plug from a thin rubber auto pan gasket I had laying around. To make the plug I used a hollow punch...probably 1/4 or 5/16. Should write this stuff down. Just dig out the old wax from the cup and insert the rubber plug.  It fits perfectly and makes a super seal. Hope this helps...good luck.  Harry

TeamSunset

Hi Mike. The Bing Starter Piston w/ Sleeve for the 1/24, 1/26, and 1/27 carburetors is Sachs# 0686-100-000. I also have the smaller Starter Bushings #0281-101-000 listed, but they are for the 1/18 carburetors used on the 50S engine. In any case, I have what you need... Tom Gimmer @ (608) 295-3839 or [email protected]. Ebay price is $14.99, but of coarse it's always cheaper to order direct (we discount when there is no ebay fees to pay). Thank you. TG

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us