Can these cases be saved?

Started by Grunbay, May 18, 2012, 02:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grunbay

I bought a pair of 175 Jackpiner cases on Ebay (I know better - I really do). They are pretty heavily corroded. It seems to me that I can use JB Weld for the pitting in the bottom of the transmission area, as that is not too structural. The pitting in the crankcase area is more concerning. There is no perforation of the casing in that area, and the mating surfaces, while nibbled on the edges, still have 3 or four mm of mating surface intact.

I have not had a lot of luck finding a decent set of used Jackpiner cases, so I would love to get your thoughts on:

1. Should I forget it, and keep looking?
2. Does JB Weld stick to beadblasted magnesium?
3. Should I lay some JB Weld inside of the crack area to rebuild the mating surface?
4. Does this much corrosion indicate that perhaps the structural integrity of the magnesium is impaired, leading me back to #1, above?
5. Have you ever successfully saved cases as bad as these, and your motor lived to tell the tale?

Maybe you have a set of cases (older black motor 175) or an engine you would sell?

Thanks for looking.

John T. Gurley
Falmouth Maine
John T. Gurley
Falmouth Maine

Grunbay

Here are the pics - I hope!

John T. Gurley
Falmouth Maine
John T. Gurley
Falmouth Maine

Kip Kern

Sure, JB weld (Auto Store) in deep pockets after bead blasting and de greasing.  Once JB dries, red glyptal (Caswel) painted thickly over other areas.

Kip

brian kirby

Yup. I've seen Speedy save mag Sachs 7sp cases worse than that.

Brian
Brian

Rain Man

John, I have 2 sets of JP cases for the 72-73 year models. I know 1 set is in pristine condition. I'm less than 1/2 an hour West of you.  749-0652

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons