Bing Carb Rebuild

Started by [email protected], May 15, 2002, 09:13:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

[email protected]

I need help with my 74 400 penton. Bike will load up for no reason at all, seems to run fine for 1 moto then be a mess for next.Does anyone off er a kit to rebuild this carb or are I on my own?   Thanks!

Rocket

I would suggest trying another ignition.  Sometimes when the CDI units are going bad, they will run okay for awhile and then they run like crap when they get hot.  Just my thoughts.
Rocket

tim bowers

Bing USA offers a rebuild kit. I just bought one for my 400. A basic is about 25$ and one
a little better is about 60$9gaskets and all.
The number is in your AHRMA magazine. If you
can't find it let me know and I will look
tonite when I get home.

joeaw

Jeff, I had a 400 that about drove me nuts trying to find a problem such as you describe. I finally decided to tear the engine down to see if something inside was causing the problem. When I took off the gas tank, the coil mounting bracket was cracked; sometimes it had good ground, sometimes it did not. I welded the bracket, ran an extra ground strap to the coil and cured the problem. Check it out. joe

mikey

I would start with replacing the top coil for a start. I had the same problem with my penton. It would start always..but sometimes rev clean and then out of the blue load up like it was flooding..after changing the dang crank seals(thought it was sometimes sucking oil from the tranny) I put another top coil on and voila..runs like a bear.

[email protected]

Thanks guys, I will start with the carb and then check the coil.

tim bowers

Hi guys, Mine is experiencing similar
problems. It will load up and then
part way into a race start ping'n and poppin'
Sometimes it likes to rev to the moon for
no reason and then you got to shut her down.
I thought about a crank seal (mag side)but
after all this ignition talk is it possible
that it is a combination of both???

turkeycreek58

Would this be similar on a Husky?  I have a 74' 250 WR with a FEMSA coil.  My bike is doing the exact same thing.  Starts up first kick runs great for 10-15 min. Then loads up and quits then I can't restart.  It acts like it is fouled.

Steve

Rocket

I would say that the CDI ignition is going bad.  Try to borrow an ignition that you know is good and see if that makes a difference.  When the bike won't run once it gets hot, usually indicates ignition problems.
Rocket