Gene Cannady

Started by [email protected], July 23, 2012, 02:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[email protected]

It is with deep sadness that I need to make this post.Someone very close to me once sais "getting old ain't for sissy's" and with getting old comes the loss of friends.Larry Cannady (Gene's brother) just wrote to inform me of Gene's passing.

"Just incase you haven't heard from someone else this is to inform you that my brother Gene Cannady died tragically last Wednesday trail riding with 5 other riders here in southern Oregon.  We feel quite certain that he had a medical issue before the accident as he was such an experienced rider all his life and what occurred was so out of character for him. We are having a memorial service along the rogue river on Saturday."

I knew Gene and really enjoyed him. He won I believe three medals at the ISDT events in the 70's all aboard Penton's. He also rode and raced Hodaka's and was a retired Los Angeles police detective.
I guess for me when my time comes I would like to be doing what I like such as off road riding on my motorcycle.
Paul

Mark P

I am sorry to hear of his death. I was aware of who the gentleman was but not that he was a retired fellow police officer. Its been a tragic month for me. I lost my dad this Saturday morning. He was 86.

tomale

I'm sorry to hear about the loss, Of course my thoughts and prayers go out to His family and friends. I am becoming painfully aware of how much time I have left on this earth. I would like to believe I am still 30 but the truth is I am twice that. How much time I have left. I have no idea so I guess I need to make sure I use it wisely. The Truth is we are all headed in that direction. Being a Minister, I deal with this sort of thing fairly often and questions of Eternity come to the surface. If I can help or if anyone needs to talk let me know.. just email me.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
74'250 hare scrambler (project)
74' 1/2 440 maico
78' 440 maico
72' cr125 Husky (project)
93' RMx 250 suzuki

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Dwight Rudder

Paul Danik

Gene was a person whom I had always wanted to meet. The photo on the home page is one that Jerry West took of Gene who was a member of the 1971 Penton Trophy Team at the Isle of Man event.

I believe that this would have been the first year that the USA fielded an all Penton Trophy Team and the members were Tom and Jack Penton, Dane Leimbach, Lars Larsson and Dick Burleson, along with Gene.

Gene earned a Silver in Spain in 1970, a Gold at the Isle of Man in 1971 and a Gold in 1972 in Czechoslovakia, all while riding Pentons.

Somewhere in the POG message board is a thread with a picture of three folks on their Pentons getting ready to head out for a ride, the person posting the picture was asking who the rider in the back was, I now wonder if it was Gene. Does anyone know where that thread and picture is?  

I am sorry I never got a chance to meet Gene, he sure seemed like a swell guy.

Paul

checkcrew

Paul,
i found it, Dale Fisher is the author, title is something like : 71 ISDT rider "ID"

Quotequote:Originally posted by Paul Danik

Gene was a person whom I had always wanted to meet. The photo on the home page is one that Jerry West took of Gene who was a member of the 1971 Penton Trophy Team at the Isle of Man event.

I believe that this would have been the first year that the USA fielded an all Penton Trophy Team and the members were Tom and Jack Penton, Dane Leimbach, Lars Larsson and Dick Burleson, along with Gene.

Gene earned a Silver in Spain in 1970, a Gold at the Isle of Man in 1971 and a Gold in 1972 in Czechoslovakia, all while riding Pentons.

Somewhere in the POG message board is a thread with a picture of three folks on their Pentons getting ready to head out for a ride, the person posting the picture was asking who the rider in the back was, I now wonder if it was Gene. Does anyone know where that thread and picture is?  

I am sorry I never got a chance to meet Gene, he sure seemed like a swell guy.

Paul

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

checkcrew

My deepest sympathy to the Cannady family,

GOD speed Gene,

regards,

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

checkcrew

Mark,

so sorry to hear about the loss of your Father,

GOD Bless him,

deepest regards,

Quotequote:Originally posted by Mark P

I am sorry to hear of his death. I was aware of who the gentleman was but not that he was a retired fellow police officer. Its been a tragic month for me. I lost my dad this Saturday morning. He was 86.

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

Paul Danik

Mark,

I apologize for not expressing my sympathies to you for the loss of your dad in my earlier post.

I am very sorry to hear of the passing of your dad on Saturday.

Paul

Admin

Here is the 1971 Trophy Team photo that includes Gene.

Paul Danik

Left to right, John Penton, Gene Cannady, Tom Penton, Jack Penton, Dane Leimbach, Lars Larsson, Dick Burleson. 1971 Isle of Man ISDT

The team photo did not have the names listed on it, given who is listed as being on the team from the John Penton book we figured that had to be Gene.  The info about Gene's ISDT experience also came from the John Penton book, if anyone has different or additional info please feel free to set the record straight. If Gene rode any ISDT events on a machine other than a Penton it would net be listed in the book. The home page photo picture did have Gene's name on it.

Thanks Mike G. for finding that thread.

http://www.pentonusa.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12769&SearchTerms=71+ISDT+rider

Thanks,
Paul

Jeff D

Was Gene married?  I have an address for him in Medford, OR and would like to send a card.

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

Dwight Rudder

Former ISDE (ISDT) and twice Baja 1000 winner Gene Cannady , 71, passed away Wednesday, July, 18, 2012 while riding Little Grayback trail with friends near his hime in Medford, Oregon. Gene's motorcycle career emcompassed dirt track, motocross and desert recing in Sou. Ca. beginning in the mid "60's ehile working for the Los Angeles Police Dept. He quickly became known as the "flying fuzz' and "clean Gene". Gene representated the United States at the ISDE winning silver in Spain, gold at The Isle of Mann 1971 and gold in Czechoslovakia 1972. Gene also teamed up with Al Baker to win the Baja 1000 twicein the mid "70's and was also a factory Penton, DKW, Kawasaki and Hodaka rider. He was also on e of the founding members of the So. Ca. based "Badgers MC"

After his retirement with the LAPD, Gene spent 10 years in Baja, where he became known as "Geno". Upon hi return to the U.S., Geno eventually moved to Medford, Oregon. He never lost his passion for off road riding and continued to ride 2-3 times per week for fun. Geno was always the first one to volunteer in maintaining the trails for motorcycleists, mountain bikers, hikers and horseback riders. He always looked forward joining his So. Ca. friends annually in March for a weekof riding in Moab. Geno also annually hosted a memorial day ride for his many friends from all over the U.S. Geno's memorial day ride will be continued by his friends in his memory.

Gene was an inspiration to everyone he came in contact with. He NEVER spoke of his many accomplishments and quietly led by example. As one of his friends said this week, "He was a prince among men". His favorite charities was Child International and The Wounded Warriors Fund.

Survivors include wife Susie Cannady, daughter Michele and son in law Tom Nordquist, grandchildren Karin and Dan Nordquist, brother Larry and sister in law Gloria Cannady. Nephew Eric and wife Michelle Cannady, nieces Ashley and Ava Cannady, sister Linda and brother in law Larry Todd. Nephew Matt and wife Amanda Todd, Nieces Ella and Sophia Todd and nephew Becket Todd

A memorial will be held Saturday July 28th at 10am Touville Park, Medford, Oregon

checkcrew

News about Gene's death, sad but true :-(((

Sent by Bryon Farnsworth

Gold medalist, Baja winner, accomplished off-road rider and L.A. Police Officer, Gene Cannady died July 18th as a result of a trail riding crash near Medford. At first, it seemed impossible that the impact with the tree could have killed him. The results of the autopsy showed, however, that it was in fact the cause of the 71 year old's death.
On July 28th, nearly 100 people gathered around a beautiful location where Gene often fished on the Rouge River. Many of his LAPD friends were in attendance, as well as current riding buddies, 6-day competitor Derek Steahly, Gene's riding navigator, John Mittendorf, and Gene's family.
Motorcycle Hall of Fame's Jeff Heininger attended and noted "Gene was a great guy. We spent a considerable amount of time together in the 70's on and off the race course." Jeff's Dad, of course, was Webco. His company was one of Gene's key supporters in the day.
Gene and Max Switzer were a winning team in Baja. Max noted "Gene was an excellent rider and great partner. He knew how to go fast and keep the machine together."
Besides his two-wheeled activities, Gene was an avid gardener, a wonderful husband to Susie and he loved to fish. From catching a giant marlin in Mexico, to a trout in the Rouge River, Gene found great satisfaction in fishing

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]