International title service?

Started by johnacapp, August 11, 2012, 09:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnacapp

To all,
I heard about a way to get a title for a motorcycle with just a bill of sales today. The outfit is called internation title serch.

I found in the past that the Penton group is the most knowleable site and you ussually get a straight answer so I was wondering if any Poggers have had any experience with International Title search?
Or have gotten titles for their Pentons with only a bill of sales?

I guess how it works is you get a certificate of ownership from Maine and most state accept and will issue you a title. The catch is you have to basicly sell them you bike on paper and they then get the certificate from Maine and transfer ownership back to you from the power of attorney document you sign, then you go to your states DMV etc. and say you want to transfer to your state. I'm told the whole process now costs about $300

It would be great but sounds questionable to me.
Has anyone gotten a title this way????  

I live in PA and I also heard PA only will title bikes back to a certain model date? Does anyone have any experience with PA Title and if so what is the cut off title date, assuming this is correct?
Additionally if you don't get a title in PA what type of document would you get and how would you make your bike legal?

Thanks in advance.
John Capp

lmroberts36

If this is the company in Las Vegas, forget it. They stiffed me for several hundred dollars last year. Their address is a mail box in a UPS store and they are a scam.

I'm also in PA and without a legitimate title they would not register the bike. To get a title, I eventually "sold" the bike to a relative in a state that requires a bill of sale only to issue a title and then bought it back from them. Only down side was that I had to transport the bike to that state and have the serial number verified before they would title it.

Larry Roberts, Mont Alto, PA
1973 Penton 125 Six-day
1991 Mazda RX-7 Turbo track car
http://rotarydiagnostics.com
1973 Penton 125 Six-days(Sold)
1984 Honda V65 Magna (sold)

brian kirby

I know several people who have gotten good results with ITS, no problems, but I personally have never used them.

Brian
Brian

Don Roth

The term ten-foot-pole comes to mind, a little history, I have used Mr Holmes four times with good results,
however last year he got me for $275, I filed a BBB complaint, several
phone calls and emails,NO response at all. Your mileage may vary, but I would NOT use this service.
I lost not only a cashed money order, but also my only Bill of sale. We here in Ohio call that theft. Kinda ticked me off, the amount is less than hiring a lawyer will cost, Ah, free enterprise!

-don

KJDonovan

John,

You gotta love the DMV, I know in Rhode Island every time I go there I feel like a circus animal jumping through hoops!   I am guessing things are similar in PA.    Anyway, you may want to do a little more research before paying anyone for a title to your bike.

I found a way around the title requirement when registering my Jack Piner in RI.    With my JP I did not have a title or bill of sale as I found the bike on the curb on trash day.  I probably shouldn't say bike, it was just a couple bushel baskets of parts and a bare frame.  After restoring it, I went to the DMV and explained everything and they basically told me to get lost.  Next, I went back to the house where I picked it from the trash and had the previous owner write me a bill of sale, brought that to the DMV and was told to take a hike again.  So I ask them exactly what I need to get this registered, I was told any of the following would be fine;

- Original Title (this is a joke as my bike is a 72 and RI vehicles did not have titles until 74)
- Plates or registration slip from last owner
- Bill of sale from motorcycle dealer

I mentioned this to a relative, and he had a buddy who had a bike shop who in turn wrote up a bill of sale to me for my bike.  The key here is that the bill of sale was from a dealer.  Took the bill of sale to the registry the next week and walked out the door with my plates.  

So before shelling out any money to strangers in Vegas, do some research then go down to whatever bike you have a relationship with, explain your dilemma and see if they can help you wiggle around the state bureaucracy.

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
71 Suzuki TS125 (Project)
87 KTM 250
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

lmroberts36

Brian,

That's exactly what the then-POG member who sold me the bike told me. Here's what I tried to do after I realized I'd been had. I never did get a title from them or recover any money, nor did the authorities do any thing, as far as I know, to shut down this scam.
====================
"[email protected]
July 21, 2011

Office of the Attorney General
State of Nevada
555 E. Washington Ave, Suite 3900
Las Vegas, Nevada 89101

Sir/Madam,

There is a fraudulent business operating out of mail box #357 at The UPS Store, 3230 E. Flamingo Rd, Suite 8, Las Vegas, NV. This company, doing business as International Title Service, LLC, purports to be able to provide special vehicle titling assistance. They are apparently using the US Mail and the Internet (http://www.its-titles.com) to defraud people who require special vehicle titling and/or registration assistance.

In my particular case, I had purchased a vintage motorcycle in May of this year and I requested this company to acquire a legal registration from a state that required only a bill-or-sale in order to register a vehicle. This is a service that they indicate on their web site that they can provide. So on May 12, 2011, I submitted the required documentation along with a cashiers check in the amount of $275.00 (see enclosed documentation). To this date, they have not provided the requested registration and have failed to respond to repeated requests for a status report. I can only conclude, based on the unreasonable length of time that has passed since submitting the request to them and by their unwillingness to respond to my requests for a status report, that I have been defrauded of the $275.00.

I hope that you will investigate this company and take the steps necessary to close down this operation and to prosecute those responsible for operating this, obviously fraudulent, enterprise.

Sincerely,

Lawrence Roberts

Encl:   Application form
   Power of Attorney
   Bill of Sale
   Driver's license copy
   Cancelled check in the amount of $275.00

CC:   Federal Trade Commission, Washington, DC
   US Postal Inspection Service, Chicago, IL"

brian kirby

That's unfortunate. It always seems worse when a company starts out as legit, and then turns into a scam as opposed to being a scam from the outset.

Brian
Brian

johnacapp

To all,
Thanks for the responces.
I checked other bike sites and found that there is NO gray area with "International Title" either people got good results or stifted!
It seems like the Bad results outweighted the good results by at least 2 to 1 , and who knows international could be putting out their own good press on these site?

The only thing is the guy that told be about Internation, had good results and seems very truthful an had no reason to tell me otherwise.

I have a local title transfer company that maybe could shed some light on my questions? But if anyone knows or had sucess with Titles from just a bill of sale please enlighen me.
John Capp

seanguthrie

In Indiana I've always taken a bill of sale to the BMV.  They give me a form to have a police check done.  After the police come to my house and run my frame number through their database to check that it is not stolen, they sign off on the affidavit.  I take that with the bill of sale back to the BMV and they give me a title.  This has worked in the past, but it is Indiana.

74 250 Hare scramble
68 Six Day
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

brian kirby

Dwight Rudder found this link, they are in DC but they get you a Vermont registration and tag which you can then transfer to your state. I have no idea if they are trustworthy, this is the first I have heard of them.

http://www.motorecyclenow.com/faq.html

Brian
Brian

conrad2

I have used ITS twice and have had no problems. I live in PA and the notary service is the one that recommended them, It was about 6 years ago and ITS sent me a bill of sale from Maine which I took to the notary and got antique plates no problem,
Conrad

Conrad Pfeifer
of Mars PA, Home of The Paul Danik Presidential Library
Conrad Pfeifer

454MRW

Do you know someone that lives in Michigan? According to a couple of people that I have talked to about it, all they have to do is walk in to the Dept of Motor Vechiles with a bill of sale and walk out with a title more or less. Sell the bike to them and then buy it back after they get it titled. Most events only require a plate and a non working headlight to compete, and the plate can be years old and not even for that bike. The neat ones I have seen have been old plates from the year of the bike. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
1975 Can Am 175 TNT & 77 250 Black Widow
1979 Husqvarna OR390
1976-78 RM & 77-79 PE Suzuki's
1974 CR250M 07 CR125R 79 CR250R
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

johnacapp

FYI, I just found out that International Title Service has an "F" rating with BBB and has a warning not to use! See website:
 http://www.bbb.org/southern-nevada/business-reviews/title-companies-and-agents/international-title-service-in-las-vegas-nv-48090
On going plea has anyone had any success with getting a title or certificate of ownership using any other company????
John Capp

lmroberts36

John,

Check with friends and relatives who live in other states. Go on line and find out what is required in their states for titling a bike. For example, only a bill-of-sale and on-site verification of serial number/VIN is required for titling in NH. And I understand that VT is somewhat the same. You may have to transport the bike to the state of choice for verification  

"Sell" the bike to that friend or relative and when they receive the title, buy it back from them. Perfectly legal.

1973 Penton 125 Six-day

checkcrew

i used ITS several times with the same results as Conrad, received a Maine Title and went to NJDMV with no problem,
this was about 5-6 years back, either i lucked out or they must have gotten greedy and started scaming people,
 Dam shame a good thing has to go Bad !!!

just my .02 :(

Quotequote:Originally posted by conrad2

I have used ITS twice and have had no problems. I live in PA and the notary service is the one that recommended them, It was about 6 years ago and ITS sent me a bill of sale from Maine which I took to the notary and got antique plates no problem,
Conrad

Conrad Pfeifer

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]