1973 Six Days Fender Placement??

Started by jdbushnell, September 28, 2012, 01:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdbushnell

My son and I are restoring the bike mentioned above. I recieved the bike in boxes and most of the "small stuff" was missing. So after thousands of dollars spent with Al Buehner (the best) and others I finally have enough parts to make a bike. Since I havent seen a Penton in 40 years other than our basket case I have a couple questions:

1. I have an aluminum rear fender (first half of the year had metal fenders, last half had plastic from what I can tell) and wonder where it should be trimmed. These are sold very long so that they can accomodate many bikes. I believe it should be cut off just long enough to attach to the two bolt tabs that are under the seat. Can anyone confirm?

2. I have several "mud flaps" to install and not quite sure where they go. The parts catalog and owners manual do not show them. I believe there are three total. One goes under the tank to cover the coil and its the other two that are befuddling for me. I assume one attaches to the fender to separate that space from the airbox but cant find any indication anywhere. Have tried looking at good restoration pics but not too helpful. Any ideas guys?

Thanks for your help and guidance.  Jeff

rob w

Quotequote:Originally posted by jdbushnell

2. I have several "mud flaps" to install and not quite sure where they go. The parts catalog and owners manual do not show them. I believe there are three total. One goes under the tank to cover the coil and its the other two that are befuddling for me. I assume one attaches to the fender to separate that space from the airbox but cant find any indication anywhere. Have tried looking at good restoration pics but not too helpful. Any ideas guys?

Thanks for your help and guidance.  Jeff

Link to rubber parts ->
http://www.pentonpartsusa.com/4b%206%20sachs%20mud%20flap.htm

- (part at the bottom of the page) for under fiberglass air box #51-06-062-000
This one goes at the bottom, front of the air box, and hangs through the swing arm, just behind the swing arm pivot tube.

- (part shown 2nd down)    fits between the air box and rear fender  #51-06-061-000
You probably have this one.
The two screw holes in the flap align with the two tabs you mentioned,  where the front of the rear fender fastens. This flap goes between the frame and rear fender.  The cut out hooks on each side of the flap rest on top of the frame tubes.

The 2nd one down is for a seat breather frame, and the 3rd one down is for a high breather frame.

Hope I make sense,
Bob

jdbushnell

Thanks Bob. The fender length became obvious today when I installed the airbox. I notice the two screw holes in the front of the airbox where that flap likely attaches so all makes sense now. Appreciate the help.