250 shift levers

Started by phats, October 01, 2012, 02:39:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phats

Hi all,

Currently the only gear shift levers i found you can buy are the type to suit the later crank cases (1980 onwards) or a 'short' type lever to suit the original crank cases. Having size 15 feet, i found the short lever is far too short. Does anyone know if the original long levers can still be purchased?

Cheers

seanguthrie

I share your pain.  The only advice I have been given was to get another one and cut and weld an extention.  I'm going to work on maybe coming up with a longer one this winter.

74 250 Hare scramble
68 Six Day
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

phats

I unfortunatly tried cutting and welding it. One half is buried somewhere on the 3rd bend of last weeks meeting, wasnt strong enough!

I put a lever on off my 81 GS and it sort-of-fits. But isn't great. Surely someone must be remaking them....

chicagojerry

there are no new long ones that i am aware of. what i do is buy whatever folding tip lever that al b has that doesn't sell well for him and i cut the end off and weld it.  i have yet to break one if welded correctly. i have wore out a few folding tip springs from a lot of abuse but no breaking the shaft. the 81 probably rubs on your clutch case right at the double bend.
chi jer