New Guy Intro and Penton Racing Questions

Started by tonupchad, October 03, 2012, 10:08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonupchad

Hello all,

I've been lurking for a while now mining the archives for racing tips and Penton basics. Name's Chad and I live in Durham, NC (transplanted from Zanesville, OH) I've been racing AHRMA for nearly 7 years now 4 on road and the last 3 in the dirt. You may have passed me before on one of my BSA 441's in the woods or VMX track.  

I've always had soft spot for Pentons ever since I was a kid seeing them out on the trails around Muskingum County. They're quite rare in Carolina so when I stumbled across one right down the street I thought it was destiny.  So now I'm the proud owner of this beauty below. From what I've read it's a 73 125.   Here's all the numbers:

Frame: 30362986
Engine: 7333265-97  TYP SACHS 1001/6B

It's fitted with a Mikuni carb and appears stock.

The plan is to race a full season of cross country and a little bit of VMX next year.  My first race on it will hopefully be next weekend at Barber.

Please be patient with me over the coming months as I know nothing about these bikes and even less about 2-strokes but I'm a good listener and a patient study.

From what's I've picked up in the archives I may be happier with a 35mm front end and improved rear suspension.  A set of alloy rims may nice too but not necessary. A set of bark busters too.  

Any other suggestions?

\\\'73 Six Day (CMF)
\\\'68 Six Day Wasselump

Randy Kirkbride

Hi Chad,
Welcome to the POG website. I'm from Zanesville, also. Small world, huh? Your bike is definately a 73. Very nice, but the Mikuni carb is not original. Should have came with a Bing carb. Again, welcome.

tonupchad

Thanks Randy!  I meant to say It has a Mikuni and [the rest] appears stock.

I'm back in Z-Vegas all the time.  Would love to get together and ride.
\\\'73 Six Day (CMF)
\\\'68 Six Day Wasselump

Randy Kirkbride

OK Chad. Got ya on the carb. The bike does look very nice & original. I don't ride off road much any more but give me a call when you get to town & maybe we can bench race in the garage.

seanguthrie

Glad to see you made it over.  Can't wait to check that out at Barber.  If you can get some practice in.  That Penton will feel nothing like that 441!

74 250 Hare scramble
68 Six Day
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

tonupchad

Thanks Guth'

I plan on wringing it neck this weekend in the red clay.  If it stays together I'll bring it to Barber.

What night are coming in?  Looks like it will be tight in the pits again.
\\\'73 Six Day (CMF)
\\\'68 Six Day Wasselump

jeff greenberg

Speaking of Zanesville, anyone remember Doug Kane? 1972-74, Doug used to haul the mail in the 125 class at Mid-Ohio!!
Jeff

tonupchad

Spent many hours in Doug Kane motorsports shop growing up.
\\\'73 Six Day (CMF)
\\\'68 Six Day Wasselump

checkcrew

Chad, hi and welcome to the POG,

good looking bike to start with !!

it might not be a bad idea to pop the head off and measure the bore, the #'s you gave indicate it to be a 100cc bike, most likly a replacement cover at some point in time,
these heads come off without having to remove the pipe, remove the 4 bolts and slide it out the right side,

48mm = 100cc
54mm = 125cc

good luck with your new Penton and again Welcome :-)))

regards,

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

tonupchad

Mike

Thanks for the info.

Question to all:  Would I have to replace the head gasket or re anneal after checking?

Thanks

Chad
\\\'73 Six Day (CMF)
\\\'68 Six Day Wasselump

checkcrew

Chad,

if there are no burned spots or cracks go ahead and re anneal it, i like to shoot mine with Permatex copper coat spray if i reuse them,
just a little added protection !!

regards,

Quotequote:Originally posted by tonupchad

Mike

Thanks for the info.

Question to all:  Would I have to replace the head gasket or re anneal after checking?

Thanks

Chad

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

brian kirby

The engine tag is on the mag cover, its rarely the same one as came on the engine because of chains breaking it.

Brian
Brian

checkcrew

Chad,

here is a photo of my 74 125 with the fenders and side panel from KTM World { the old H&H }

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

tonupchad

Thanks Mike.  Those look great.  Perfect for racing!
\\\'73 Six Day (CMF)
\\\'68 Six Day Wasselump

brian kirby

I prefer an oval plate on the right side, those full panels stick out too far and you can barely get your boot on the peg.

Brian
Brian