Need carb for 72 Six Day

Started by tooclose racing, November 12, 2012, 09:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooclose racing

Before I go out and buy something shiny-new, just wanted to see if any POGGERs have a 28 or 30 mm Mikuni sitting on the shelf that I can use with my 6B engine.

I have a very tired 28 mm Mikuni currently mounted that has served me well until this year.  Won't go into details, but the carb body has to be put out to pasture.

Figure I'll probably have to go with the 30 if I go new.  Got the jetting specs from POG saved somehere.

Hey Mick - I've currently got the Six Day on "layaway" for you. ;) Drop me a line if you want to do something different than I am pursuing.

Thanks POG,

Bob Close

1972 "Fast By Friedel" 125 Six Day
1976 "Gary Ellis Works" 250 MC5
2001 Ducati Monster 900ie (that I can't wait to buy some noisy cans for!)

Ernie Phillips

Bob,  just for you:  a very special (and rare) 28mm NOS Mikuni complete carb.  (small body)

Send shipping info to.     Ephilride @ aol dot com

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

tooclose racing

Thanks, Ernie.  You've got mail!

rob w

This week a Penton friend came to me and wanted to mount a new 28mm Bing 84 to his Sachs B cylinder.
 I machined a aluminum collar to press fit on the cylinder spigot, which the new carb clamps onto.

tooclose racing

Nice, Rob W!

Ernie - got package today.  Thank you...

Ernie Phillips

Rob, As always - nice job.

Bob,  you will need to replace the float needle jet with a larger one (from you old carb?). The carb I sent you has a 1.5 which is fine for trail riding, but long WFO will suck bowl dry.  In a pinch you can drill it out larger, but it is tricky to radius the sealing edge.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

gooddirt

Ran a 32 mm MIK on a gs pro monark and all I can say is that 27.5 mm Bing still gives more punch. Going to a Model-84 30mm Bing for it.

tooclose racing

Thanks for advisory, Ernesto...I was going to open and look at obvious things (e.g. main), but needle "jet" would have escaped me.  The needle jet is the brass body that passes thru to the lower bowl, right?  Is this typically a press-fit or screw in?

And would I also use my current needle with it, ie do these things need to travel in pairs?  I'll try and make out the needle IDs....

Thanks again. The carb looks brand spanking new.

Ernie Phillips

FLOAT  jet.  The device that lets fuel into the bowl.  It is threaded.  Use your old one.

On the fuel metering circuit, the needle jet and needle should be fine.  It has a 200 main jet which should be rich (but should run).  We've been running 160-175 mains.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

Rain Man

oh oh, now to find that rubber piece that fits on the intake boot.:( oh ya you wont need it with the 84. Does this mean its for sale!!
 That part was hard to find at 1 time...

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

tooclose racing

Thanks, Ernie..FLOAT jet.  :)

You'd think float would have jumped off the page, with all of the wonderful times I have had with float needle jets not seating on these old bikes.  

I hope you and yours are having a nice Thanksgiving weekend. My started out (on Wednesday) with helping my brother-in-law and father-in-law pour 1/2 of my new garage's concrete floor. As in "the truck operator will fill the wheelbarrow and then you bring it back of garage".  Ughhh!

That was the 50 degree day.  Saturday is the 38 degree day pour. Momma Mia.  Gotta get back to work on Monday and relax.