What am I doing? Greeves..

Started by Halk, November 13, 2012, 09:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halk

I found this old Greeves advertized, drove over and looked at it, bought it. Kind of crusty but still cool. I forgot to kick it over! It is of course.....stuck.   I couldn't find a lot of info on the net, thought maybe somebody here might have some insight. I have determined by the numbers that it is a 1968 Anglian, but it has a 1961-1962 Moto-cross motor in it. Anyone with a 1968 Anglian motor available? Hal
[/img][/img]

Kip Kern

Nice find, at least it doesn't have the goofy leading link front end on it!!

joe novak

Looks quite complete, and with the headlight, too.   Is it a right foot shifter?   joe

Halk

Having ridden a few leading link road bikes, I kind of appreciate the solid (if slow) handling. I think this is one of the first years of Greeves to come with the Ceriani forks, and I'll bet they were a big improvement. So now that I have a few vintage bikes....where can I get to ride them with other riders of vintage bikes (In New England)? I am more of a trials or enduro type rider rather than moto-cross. I'd like to get my Six Day out and about. Hal

Halk

Yes, it is a right foot shifter. Good thing I am dyslexic!

dennis brown

on the steering head is the numbers  greeves coding was like this. a 1965  was a tfs  tgs 1968 1969 ths. it has a trials speedo. the  straight leg forks were a option in 1967 on the trials bikes. frank conely in  california has all the info. i have had a few greeves.e-mail me  at [email protected] if you need more info

dennis l.brown
dennis l.brown

seanguthrie

Very nice find.  Would love to see some pictures of what that looked like in its competition days.

74 250 Hare scramble
2 68 Six Day (projects)
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

John Collard

I'm afraid you're too late to contact Frank Conley. Sadly he passed away last week.
The Anglians were made in '66 (TGS) '67 (THS) and '68 (TJS) They were all fitted with Villiers 37A engines which should be Prefixed 161FC.
I've got press photos of the UK Anglian which had the GRP red Tank fitted. Any info you require just send me a PM

dennis brown

thanks i did not know that frank had passed, delt with him for a long time, he did love the greeves motorcycles,except the pathfinder. my 67 anglian has differant shaped rear loop. this may be a ranger

dennis l.brown
dennis l.brown

Halk

This one is marked 24TJS on the frame, and the engine is marked
34A 203FF

So I would say it is a 1968 Anglian with a 1961 or 1962 moto-cross motor?  Hal

dennis brown

that is not a 1961-1963  thouse were mcs motorsvery differant i think it is a late ranger bike only inported to the us

dennis l.brown
dennis l.brown

dennis brown

i ran the frame and motornumbers it is a 1968 tjs anglian trials motor is correct m52b. the gas tank should be red fiberglass,that tanks is off of the scottich model

dennis l.brown
dennis l.brown

Halk

I looked on the Greeves group website under "identify" and it said the 34A motor was 1961-1962? My motor also has a Villiers carburetor. The cylinder head says Greeves on it. Am I looking at the wrong number or chart? H.

John Collard

The Anglian used lightweight 37A crancases. Factory bikes often had these replaced these with the more substantial 34A cases for extra strengh. The clutch cover should be one of the small lightweight ones, you have the standard 34A cover. The TJS also used REH forks, it looks like you have the better Ceriani forks.
I'll PM a press shot if you need one.

John

Halk

Now I know why the piston is stuck. Mighty-Mouse strikes again.
When I took off the exhaust pipe, I knew things couldn't be good...[/img]

[/img]

[/img]