What am I doing? Greeves..

Started by Halk, November 13, 2012, 09:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halk

Well, I got the piston free today and took the cylinder off. Inside the crankcase looks pretty good, although some seeds and nuts had gotten down in there. I used a vacuum and I think I got them all out...

The big blobs of rust on the cylinder wall did come off with a little persuasion, but there is some that remains.

It looks like the engine received new rings and a hone before it was put away last time. There is slight color from carbon from a short amount of running.

Any suggestions on how to clean up the cylinder?  The lower ring appears to be free, but the top ring seems stuck. Any ideas there?  

Thanks for any tips.   Hal

joe novak

You are very fortunate to have removed the cylinder from the piston assembly without damage.  I would use a razor blade to scrape the surface of the cylinder until all the corrosion is removed.   Next step would be a ball hone to clean up the bore and apply crosshatch.  Unless you have access to the correct rings, it would be best to remove the piston from the rod and soak it in a liquid: ie. PB Blaster, ATF, penetrating oil, carb cleaner, paint remover,et.al. to loosen the top ring.  What condition is the surface of the rings?  Good luck and use PATIENCE.   joe

Halk

Thanks for the tips Joe. I'll work slowly at it with a razor blade so as not to scratch it. I think there is a ball hone around here somewhere.

The rings look like shiny new chrome, and the piston is very clean, no scratches or score marks. When I bought the bike, there were some envelopes with small parts. I remember seeing a ring in there...but it didn't look like chrome. I'll keep picking away at the bike...hopefully I'll see forward progress soon. I will be starting on my Six Day 125 too, now that I have a little work space. Got to get some heat in there real soon though.

I'd like to actually ride these guys somewhere in CT, MA etc. I used to mountain bike a lot till a knee went bad. I want to get back into the woods. Hal

John Wakefield

Hi Halk
I have just come across this thread about your Greeves. This would appear to be one of the Anglian trail or enduro models, these were based on the standard UK Anglian 24TJS trials bike but with lights, larger seat etc. Greeves also built for USA only, the Ranger which had a rack or carrier full dual seat & scrambler 'knobbly' tyres. These were aimed at cattle farmers, rangers etc for use rounding up cattle etc. The frame number for the Ranger started 24CS so your bike is not a Ranger.
As John Collard has said they originally had the 37A bottom end with the small chain case, the one in your bike has earlier 32A type chain case. The motor although using the Challenger style head & barrel was actually a detuned version for trials use. Can you give me the full frame number of the bike so it can be positively identified. Do you still have it.

dennis brown

contact Kenny sykes he took over for frank comely. use frank conelys web site

dennis l.brown
dennis l.brown

John Wakefield

Thanks Dennis, I know Kenny & am also a GRA member in the UK. I have all the info on this type of bike but would like to have the frame number for records as the GRA dont have any for the bikes exported to USA. Looks like 'Halk' is no longer looking in on this forum, (it was 5 years ago) He has not replied to a PM I sent him also.

checkcrew

John, hi, it appears the in house message system is down again, i tried to send a test email to my self and received nothing, probably why you didn't receive a responce, but 5 years is a long time and who knows what email he may have,

regards,

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]