John Penton Film Project Relaunched!

Started by mxfiles, November 16, 2012, 10:23:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Schulz

Hi Todd,
I would say that your Craigslist find was a good deal! It looks like you only need to find some fenders, number plates, an air box, and the correct heat shield and with a lot of TLC, repair or replacement of worn out parts you will have a valuable, not easy to replace part of off road history. You are starting out with a much more complete bike than I do usually:)Check out the vendors list on the home page for the missing parts. Oh, the stories our bikes could tell about their previous owners, the events that they were used in, and the fun that was had if only they could talk!:DBest wishes on your rebuild and film project.
Mike Schulz

Paul Danik

With just a little over 1/2 of the 60 day pledge drive remaining, the John Penton documentary film project has about 1/3 of the needed funding pledged.

Backers
$48,125

The Penton Owners Group pledge has been made, the list of backers is updated with every 10 additional backers, when the list of backers reaches 150 the Penton Owners Group pledge will show up in the list.

Pledges can range from $ 10.00 to $ 10,000.00 and all are deeply appreciated.  Just follow the link below to make your pledge.  To all of the folks who have already made their pledges, thank you for supporting this project.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/toddhuffman/the-john-penton-story-narrated-by-lyle-lovett-rela

Thanks,
Paul

mxfiles

Thanks Paul!

Just got a pledge from Chris Carter and Motion Pro for $2500 pushing us over the $50,000 mark with a over 30 days to go!

Also, Jack P. and I worked on a press release that went to a bunch of Northern, OH newspapers. Keep and eye out for articles!

Keep pushing and pledging everyone!

Todd

sixdazed

Doubled my pledge to $50 this time in hopes we can make this happen.Posted a link on my Facebook page too.
                                              Ric
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

Paul Danik

In just a weeks time the John Penton documentary film pledge drive has gone from 141 Backers pledging $48,125 to 176 Backers pledging  $66,995, with a goal of  $150,000. The pledge drive is gaining momentum like a Mint 400 on an uphill powerline special test :)

If the pledges keep coming in at this rate the pledge drive will be very, very close to attaining it's $ 150,000 goal, let's make it happen.  

There are still 26 days left in the pledge drive, pledges can range from $ 10.00 to $ 10,000 with no monies changing hands unless the $150,000 goal is met...making a pledge only take a few minutes, but the satisfaction of knowing that you helped to make the John Penton documentary film project a reality will last a lifetime.

Just click on this link to make your pledge.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/toddhuffman/the-john-penton-story-narrated-by-lyle-lovett-rela

Thank you.
Paul

SouthRider

I'm in (again)!

Let's all get behind this project.

It needs to happen while many of the principals are here to lend their voice.

Clark

_____________________________________________________________________________________

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing."

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

mxfiles

Over Halfway There!!!!

Pog-meisters,

Yesterday we received (2), yes (2) $10,000 pledges including one from KTM USA (We love those guys!), pushing the number closing in on $78,000 with 25 days left. This is essentially like starting the last campaign with $78,000 but only having to raise $150,000 not $275,000. Great news!

We only have (1) $10,000 level left but (14) $5,000 left...If we can get to $100,000 quickly, motivating a few deep pockets will be easier along with all of us regular Joe's (which we love) with $10, $25, $50 to be part of the project.

A few other things going on:

• Getting ready to release a series (5) of short videos from the interviews with John, Jack and Dane. These are only 1-2 minutes long about a specific story that will be included in the final film. Some neat stuff you all will like. Maybe as early as the next 2-3 days. We'll release a video every few days leading up to the final days. (Need everyone to forward and promote links!)

• Looks like a couple of newspapers are getting involved in the story based on a press release we sent out. The Chronicle-Telegram for Lorain County and Amherst News are working on stories.

• We are getting ready to send specific email to over 300 KTM dealers in the USA to support the project and be able to use the final film in screenings for their local market and club/store promotion and charities

• I have people in Hollywood looking at getting the film in real theaters for at least one night or weekend

• I have approached a major cable TV network about airing the film once completed.

• I have contacted Diamond Don Rainey to use his Riverfront National in April as a backdrop to shoot some re-creation scenes of John's enduro runs because of the vast number of historic enduro bikes that will race there in his beautiful countryside. Will probably be doing more at Mid-Ohio.

When (not if) the Project on Kickstarter is successful:

1) We will be arranging to head east for a research trip, interviewing important characters and Pog members to get all the correct storylines and possible on-camera interview subjects lined up. The IMS Show in Cleveland may be the first stop for us to meet and talk to you all.

2) Once we have all the characters lined up, we will begin looking at the calendar for possible shoot trips taking into account people's schedules, weather, etc. for long travel shoots.

3) Shooting will take place in Ohio, Texas, Oregon, Idaho, Northern and Southern California and Europe. The Europe trip (maybe 2) will be a big one because we'll need to carefully schedule the trip for the KTM stories and interviews in Austria, the Alpinestars story in Italy, plus Germany, the UK, (Russia-Gennady Moiseev?) and I'm sure more that will come up. In Europe we also want to capture the european culture and look to make a strong contrast to the US side of the story.

4) We should be done shooting by the Fall with what I'm guessing could be 50-75 interviews and hundreds of hours of footage to start going through. From there, we start to  craft our final story, adding pick-up shoots, sourcing and organizing archival materials, etc.

5) The final 4-5 mos will be spent writing, editing, working with Lyle Lovett on his narration and music, etc. to have a completed movie by May-June of 2014.

6) A long ride on my Yamaha Super Tenere, some fly-fishing and a beer for the Producer..:)

But, we have to get to this January 14th finish line first and we need everyone's help to pledge (if you haven't) and push the project to others to pledge. Remember as little as $1 can be pledged!

Oh, yeah and we came up with this nice Certificate of Support below that everyone will get to hang on their wall. We'll send a PDF for people to print out.

So, everyone get out there and pledge and push on your facebook pages, emails, twitter accounts, etc.  The movie will be a great promotion or fundraising piece for local dealers and motorcycle clubs in cities all over the US and abroad and we'll make it available!

Merry Chrismas all and look for those fun videos coming up!

Best,

Todd

seanguthrie

That is great news!  I'll be at Diamond Don's with 2 or 3 of my Penton's racing.  Can't wait for that one.  If you guys have time I would hit up Terra Alta, WV for the AHRMA national.  Some of the best vintage racing over rolling hills around!

74 250 Hare scramble
2 68 Six Day (projects)
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

Paul Danik

In the past week the pledge drive for the John Penton documentary film has gone from 176 Backers pledging $66,995, to 212 backers pledging $83,136, with 19 days left to reach the $ 150,000 goal.

If pledges keep coming in at that rate, the fund raising goal will be in sight when the white flag waves..... Please post info about this pledge drive anywhere you think it might help, we need to get this project funded and capture the John Penton story in a documentary.

I spoke with Todd this morning and we discussed how great it will be to get the Penton story told by folks like Kalman Cseh who was employed by KTM when John Penton first visited them ,and was very instrumental in the dealings between KTM and John Penton during the Penton era, and beyond. Any of you who were on hand when we had Kalman as our special guest at the Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum meeting a few years back know just how involved Kalman was, he gave a wonderful and very informative presentation to the assembled group at our meeting.

Be sure to watch this clip from what Todd has already gotten in the can.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmQ8oPVET_w

Then if you are so inclined click on the link below and help to make it happen....

Thanks,
Paul

Backers
$83,136
pledged of $150,000 goal
days to go

mxfiles

Thanks Paul!

I have set a goal for us to reach or exceed $100K by Saturday, Midnight and am pounding emails and phone. (Feels like a political campaign...Hah).

Confirmed yesterday that Bob Hannah is pledging and Malcolm Smith is increasing his pledge from last time! Also reached across the pond to Europe and some web sites for Vintage Enduro and Motocross groups over there to spread the word.

Also reached out to AMA Management and AHRMA Management to get some email blasts, web banners, etc. for the next 3 weeks.

A big collector here in So. Cal will also be making a pledge and a few others I believe.

We just got to keep up the momentum!

Look for Video #2 in a new thread!-Jack Penton on the KTM Relationship

Ernie Phillips

Todd,  contact nationalenduro.com.  We went to 9 out of 10 rounds last year.  I wore POG T-shirt to most events.  The old guys know Penton/KTM  connection.  The young guys don't.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

mxfiles

I'm on it Ernie! Thanks for the tip!

Quotequote:Originally posted by Ernie Phillips

Todd,  contact nationalenduro.com.  We went to 9 out of 10 rounds last year.  I wore POG T-shirt to most events.  The old guys know Penton/KTM  connection.  The young guys don't.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

Ernie Phillips

Good job Todd!  Hope it gets traction with modern enduro crowd.

http://www.nationalenduro.com/

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

Paul Danik

Ernie and Todd,

The link from the enduro site to kickstart doesn't seem to work...at least for me. I like this direct link best. but just my opinion,

Paul

Ernie Phillips

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN