2013 Leroy Winters Memorial ISDT Reunion Ride

Started by Gordon Brennan, March 13, 2013, 03:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian kirby

96db sound limit is going to be tough for a lot of vintage bikes to pass.

Brian
Brian

454MRW

"96db sound limit is going to be tough for a lot of vintage bikes to pass
Brian"
Not only that, but I wonder how the turnout will be affected because of requirements for being licensed and registered. Most dirt bikes at these events don't even have titles. A lot of RR bikes don't even have working lights with PVL ignitions, Etc. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
1975 Can Am 175 TNT & 77 250 Black Widow
1979 Husqvarna OR390
1976-78 RM & 77-79 PE Suzuki's
1974 CR250M 07 CR125R 79 CR250R
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

KJDonovan

Gotta ask, how do I determine if my ride will pass the sound check requirement. I don't have anything in my bag of tricks to measure db.  Ideas?

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
71 Suzuki TS125
73 Yamaha AT3
72 Montesa Cota 123
88 KTM GS250
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

tanz

There are Decibel meter app's available for your smartphone, not sure how accurate they are. Also Radio Shack sells a meter for $49.99.

Steve
10 Beta 520 RR
77 GS6 400
73 Hare Scrambler 250
72 Six Days 125-Sold
71 Cat 350X

brian kirby

Cool! I didnt even think of a smartphone app.

Brian
Brian

steve erickson

Sound issues are a big factor in land access up here in New England. My club lost the chance to have a hare scramble on some awesome property due to neighbors/town having noise concerns. Since Savoy State Forest is reopening that weekend just for the Reunion Ride, I want to show the MASS DCR that we are being responsible users.
Having said that, if anyone has experience with sound testing at events, alot of factors sway a db reading one way or another. My crew know you folks will be coming a long way. If you have fresh packing in a muffler, maybe a rubber flap/sleeve hose clamped over the tailpipe, you might be good to go.

If you want to do your own test, there's got to be clubs in your area with a sound meter. Maybe you can borrow it?

brian kirby

Steve, thanks for answering. Even doing something as simple as the rider standing between the engine and the meter to lessen the amount of engine rattle noise is a big help. I have used the trick of putting a section of inner tube on the end of the muffler, it works. I didnt mean to stir up trouble, I wanted us to all be aware of the sound test and prepare our bikes for it accordingly. I am 100% for quieter bikes.

Brian
Brian

derek martin

The licensed and registered requirement is a deal killer unless I can figure out how to navigate the Illinois bureaucratic morass and get a  title for the 39 year old Penton with just a bill of sale in hand. The sound and licensing requirements are probably going to hammer this event's attendance numbers.

steve erickson

Quotequote:Originally posted by brian kirby

Steve, thanks for answering. Even doing something as simple as the rider standing between the engine and the meter to lessen the amount of engine rattle noise is a big help. I have used the trick of putting a section of inner tube on the end of the muffler, it works. I didnt mean to stir up trouble, I wanted us to all be aware of the sound test and prepare our bikes for it accordingly. I am 100% for quieter bikes.

Brian

No problem Brian. I just didn't want people to get scared away due to us having a sound test. Sound tests up here at NETRA events are common practice. It sounds like alot of folks don't have much experience with them at other events.

paul a. busick

Steve,  What about the liecense and registration plus,insurance. when we ran the ISDT RR in 2003 my bike had a fictitious and out of date plate on it nothing was said at tech about it.  Lights and DB test is not a problem with my 175PE  Besides the plates were mudded over after the first 10 yds. :D
Amherst Paul

JP Morgen

Press your knees against the gas tank, makes a difference in the sound tests, the tech guys did it to my bike at a national hare scrambles, even though my bike easily passed.

wfopete

Definitely not user friendly.  The fun factor of this event is getting sucked out of it even before I even thought about getting my 'Piner ready to ride in it.  This thing has gotten to rich for my blood and the comfort level of the requirements to be "legal" isn't there.  This would be a $2000+ cost between fuel, travel, entry, lodging etc. and I would still risk having my bike not making the sound test requirements. Nice $25 welcome fee from NETRA too. I thought maybe a would play along with the Dual Sport ride but at $80...no thanks. Seems like everyone is trying to make a buck off this event.  For those of you that make this event kudos to you but personally, I got a bad feeling about this one.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

SouthRider

If a bike is iffy on sound check you can stretch rubber bands over the fins to help eliminate the "rattle" when they rev it up for the test.

Some Huskies used to come with rubber bands installed from the factory.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing."

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

wfopete

I'd like to hear from someone who has passed this 96db SAE J1287 procedure with a real vintage bike and what it took to pass.  Some folks have talked about standing between the bike and the meter.  Well suppose the test reg says that is not a valid test?  I'm not trying to "what if" this to death but all you need is some A-hole ranger or greenie making a issue out of something and your weekend is ruined.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good