Rims Questions

Started by Keith Meatyard, April 02, 2013, 09:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Meatyard

I was about to lace up a pair of brand new aluminum rims in place of my original chrome steel Raedellis that came off my 73 JP project, when I discovered that the angles of the nipple risers are not the same layout as the original rims.  So, I guess all 36 hole rims are not the same pattern?  The front Alum rim has a J21 on it and the rear has H18, don't see a manufacturer id.  Does this tell the application?  I was given the alum rims along with one of the bikes, and they were still in plastic wrapping, but they must not fit the Pentons.  Anybody got alum rims that I could buy or trade for to get these wheels together?  Re-chroming the originals would be very expensive, so I would rather not have to go that route.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

pklinck

Keith,
It would cost 80-100 bucks to re-chrome each the radaelli rims. Your 73' Jackpiner had cylindrical hubs.  In 74' the JP had a conical hub in the rear so therefore, the length of spokes and angles are different.  The rims could be for later model pentons (?), say early alumi rims in mid 74 to 75' , etc.

peter klinck
peter klinck

Dale Fisher

Rims can typically be drilled for either drum or conical hubs.  The angles of the holes do differ.  I believe Peter is incorrect, the Harescrambler carried the conical magnesium rear and not the Jackpiner.

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

pklinck

Yes, Dale, you are right about the 73' 250 penton spoke lengths.  

I just wanted to mentioned the 100-125s and I thought the 175s in 73' had rear rim spokes of the same length using the radaelli steel chrome rims, I think that is right??

peter klinck
peter klinck

jimpal

Keith, I just posted some rims I have for sale in the Wanted/For Sale forum..They might be what you could use.

Jim
1972 Jackpiner
1974 Hodaka Dirt Squirt
Jim
1972 Jackpiner
1974 Hodaka Dirt Squirt