Gas

Started by seanguthrie, April 15, 2013, 02:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seanguthrie

Can someone explain to me the reason/theory behind not premixing my gas and doing it at the track right before I race?  I've premixed and stored in my garage for months and never had a problem.  Maybe I'm missing something.

74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

Lew Mayer

I pre-mix mine when I get it, but my oil is also a fuel stabilzer.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

454MRW

I would think that as long as it is in a metal and not a plastic can, it would be fine stored for a while. Plastic cans leach out the octane and sunlight also has a detrimental effect on fuel. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
1975 Can Am 175 TNT & 77 250 Black Widow
1979 Husqvarna OR390
1976-78 RM & 77-79 PE Suzuki's
1974 CR250M 07 CR125R 79 CR250R
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

pklinck

Mike,

How about non-ethonal gas resting in a cmf fiberglass tank?  Since Vermont borders with Canada, we have a few stations which sell 91 octane non-ethonal gasoline.

peter klinck
peter klinck

Dwight Rudder

Non Ethanol fuel is safe for a while. I just wouldn't leave it in for more than a couple months if you have added fuel stablizer like Startron.

pklinck

Dwight,

Is that becasue after 2 months the fuel is old and not as good, or in fact not to leave it in the tank becasue non-ethanol fuel will also eat out the fiberglass too?  let me know.

peter klinck
peter klinck

Mick Milakovic

Different techniques result in different experiences.  First, I use pump gas of the highest octane I can find locally, usually 91.  Second, I mix and store in a metal can.  Third, I drain the Pentons after every ride and vent the cap, unless I'm riding the next day or two.  My Huskys I just leave in the tank because they're metal.  Finally, any left over fuel from the season gets run in the lawn mower!

I can safely say I've never had a fuel problem.  My bikes are jetted for the same octane and fuel mixture and I've never burned a piston.  Some might run a little rich, but that's probably jetting and not the fuel mixture/age, and better a little rich than lean.

I think your purpose may dictate your method. I like to race, but I'm not that fast and don't think race gas and special oils are going to make a difference in my lap times, but for some it might.  But whatever the technique, find one that works for you, stick with it and have fun! :)

Mick
Mick

Dwight Rudder

Mainly because it is old.  But E10 or Ethanol laced fuel will disolve the tank. Also Ethanol will eat the rubber components like seals, Orings and gaskets.
Dwight

Quotequote:Originally posted by pklinck

Dwight,

Is that becasue after 2 months the fuel is old and not as good, or in fact not to leave it in the tank becasue non-ethanol fuel will also eat out the fiberglass too?  let me know.

peter klinck

socalmx

VP Racing Fuel makes non-ethanol small engine and storage fuel. Either one left in the carb and gas tank will keep issues from happening. I currently ride a WR250F and I run out the ethanol laced gas then hook up an auxiliary fuel supply to the carb filled with the Small Engine fuel. Fire up the bike, let the float bowl fill, run for a minute or two then shut off. That way I am sure that there is no ethanol gas left in the bike. The result is no more clogged pilot jets which makes me a happy camper.

tofriedel

Yes, that system will work as long as you do not have a fiberglas tank.

Tony
Tony