Reality check on '72 Six Days

Started by DavidCoutu, June 07, 2013, 01:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidCoutu

Hi, Im a newbie who picked up a '72 Six Days with the intention of restoring it to original condition.  My question is how far gone is too far gone? Bike is missing flywheel, stator, kickstand, right side case, throttle, has an ancient looking amal carb. Can turn the crank, but I can feel the gritty blown out bearings.  It does have the small headlight, original aluminum fenders, a straight frame, straight handlebars, original levers/mounts, and rusty but true rims.  Tank and airbox are not cracked, leather strap is in good condition but cant even get the gas cap off.  Seems like it has the basic building blocks, and Im willing to invest the $$$ and elbow grease.

seanguthrie

I've found whatever you think is too far gone another guy may say no problem and someone else will say you are crazy put it out with the trash.
It's all relative to the time and heart you want to put into the project.  90% of the time the $$ you put in will far exceed the value.  But the memories of late nights in the garage and busted knuckles will last forever.

Plus it's a Penton.  Money is no object!:D

74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

Ron

Build it because you want it. The pride in restoring one of these beauties is priceless.
However, you'll never recoup your money and your time will be free.
Been there...

SouthRider

I bought 3 rusted out bikes to build one - and still spent several thousand dollars more than it is worth today....

I wish that I had just waited for a decent condition "rider" and built it instead.

Don't get me wrong - I love my bike, and wouldn't part with it for the world. But it wasn't smart financially.

What you have is an excellent source of parts for another bike that is in better condition - or - it could be a great start if you find another bike in bad shape that has the stuff yours doesn't have...

If you are patient a good condition running bike will pop up for a reasonable price & you can go from there - it's cheaper in the long run.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing."

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

thrownchain