Barber Vintage Festival

Started by Paul Danik, September 13, 2013, 09:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

The Barber Vintage Festival has apparently continued to have substantial growth, enough so that the POG isn't able to get booth space for this year. We congratulate the folks at Barber on their success, and we are now on the waiting list for a permanent spot.

In the mean time, if any of you have a spot and would consider allowing us to join with you it would be greatly appreciated :) We had hoped to set up the POG easy-up and possibly sell a few of this years shirts and possibly have John available to meet and great as he does at VMD.

We can work out the details and sharing of costs if anyone has such a location.

Thanks,
Paul
[email protected]

TeamSunset

You would think that they would give POG some kind of priority pass to squeeze in somewhere. I put my name on the list every year and still have not been able to get in. It seems it was easier to get my Packers season tickets. :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

tooclose racing

Paul - you are being too kind.  This just seems wrong.  POG is sponsor of the AHRMA XC race series (one of which is occurring - surprise - at Barber)- and one the most active supporters of vintage off road racing ANYWHERE.  Period.

I am getting (admittedly - from a great distance away) the impression that the off road portion of this vaunted "Barber Vintage Festival" treats these racers and and their supporters like 2nd class citizens.  

As much as I want to make it down and see the museum (I'm a motorcycle roadracing NUT!), and do some XC racing and elbow rubbing(okay FINE - rear fender watching...) with Rudder and Kirby and company, I just wonder if it will really be worth it.

Sincerely,

Senor Close

Paul Danik

I would like to say that the folks at Barber could not have been kinder, and they took the time to explain how the system works, and in all fairness to everyone involved they are doing things the correct way. I do appreciate your thoughts on this, but rest assured that I didn't make my post looking to put the folks at Barber in a bad light.

Brian Slark personally called me and explained their situation and their system. I congratulated Brian on the success of their event, and told him I am glad to see that the vintage community is healthy :)  

After consulting with Al Buehner and Jack Penton on the idea of possibly partnering with someone, and getting their positive thoughts, I placed my post above.

Just to set the record straight, Penton Racing Products is the current sponsor of the AHRMA CC Series.

Thanks,
Paul

brian kirby

Barber has always treated the offroad community as second class citizens. Last year they opened the Offroad pits to spectators and by Thursday afternoon it was completely full with nowhere for the RACERS to pit.

Brian
Brian

Dale Fisher

It's a total immersion in the sights and sounds of vintage motorcycles and good folks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEuSzhDJvJM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IXGTnhrwMM

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

chicagojerry

ahrma themselves have also gotten shut out of a vendor spot. so its not just pog.     chi jer

brian kirby

I dont know why offroad keeps going back there. The track is a joke and Barber doesnt want us. We should hold the offroad event that weekend somewhere else nearby like Monster Mountain, which does have a fantastic vintage MX track and they would absolutely love to have us.

Brian
Brian

seanguthrie

I've been away from Barber for 2 years now but was planning on attending this year and racing.  So anyone can camp in the MX area now?  I remember it being pretty open a couple years back.  Looks like I may have to take an extra day of travel to ensure I get a spot.

74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

brian kirby

I dont know that it will happen this year, but last year they opened up the offroad pits to spectators and it was full before the end of Thursday. I didnt go last year but I know people who got there Thursday evening and had nowhere to pit.

Brian
Brian

Dwight Rudder

AHRMA said they were going to talk to Barbers about the pit situation. I got there daybreak Friday and found my normal spot taken by a tent camping spectator.

Dwight Rudder

Paul, I have several friends that have spots and I will ask them if they might be interested in sharing a spot with POG for this year.

Dwight Rudder

I am working on a possibility.  He should get back with me this week.

ALB

Last year was my third time at Barber. I saw the campers up in the pit area that was supposed to be reserved for the MX racers. The reason that happened was because Barber is too successful of an event. They are running out of room and they are having growing pains. The camping area sold out fast and overflowed into that area.

Barber is not a Mid-Ohio. Barber is well run, clean, well groomed, and organized. It does not have the wide open fields that Mid-Ohio has to accommodate the increased number of swap meet vendors and campers. It has a staff that is concerned about what is going on, are polite, and are always open for suggestions for improving things.

The MX racers would most likely be better served by holding their races at another track, however they are tied in with AHRMA for that weekend, which is there mainly for the road racers which are using the race track. The whole event is tailored around AHRMA's use of the race track. The co-operation of the off-road racers with the road racers (AHRMA) makes the whole thing work. There are gripes to be had with any event held and any problems with this event can and will eventually be worked out.

As far as getting space in the swap meet, it was pretty much sold out last year. This year the spaces were sold out by the deadline and we did not talk about having a display at Barber until our September meeting. Their swap meet area is probably 1/4th the area that Mid-Ohio offers. In order for them to expand the swap meet area, they would have to take over and do something with the area used for the MX racing. I have met Brian Slark and other staff members at Barber and have nothing but respect for them. They have their rules and regulations and they stick to them. The POG doesn't need an entire 20 x 20 space, just a 10 x 10 spot for the e-z up and table under it. If a POG member can share their space for us that would be wonderful, but since we are late comers if nothing shows up, it will be OK and we can live with it.

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner

brian kirby

There is no reason offroad has to be tied to Barber. We should go somewhere we are wanted the same weekend and avoid being the unwanted stepchild at Barber.

Brian
Brian