LOOKING FOR OLD CYCLE WORLD MAG.

Started by larrym, October 23, 2013, 10:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larrym

In the early 70's Cycle World Magazine named Penton (Dont remember the model)Dirt Motorcycle of the Year. As I recall Cycle World picked motorcycles in several catagories to receive similar awards.
Can anyone come up with the issue? Best guess it was between 1971 and 1975. Old age will not allow me to come any closer. Thanks, Larry

Larry, I went through my old Cycle World mags and could only find 4 magazines with Penton tests. I did find a "Exclusive" test in Dirt Rider June 1974 calling the new Penton 250 the "worlds best bike". This is a realy nice test, 12 pages long with color photos, and I think the tester is Carl Cranke. Also a test on a Tyran 125 with Sachs motor. Plus how to work on your Penton hubs 100/125 and early 175s. Looking through the Cycle World mags I dont thing they started the Top 10 bikes till some time in the 90s. In 1993 "Best Enduro" was the KTM 250 E/XC. Found a picture of John Penton on a Husky laying on his side looking at a Jawa rider go by in Spain in Jan 1971 Cycle World. I have over 30 differnt Penton tests and have them in Penton binders I got from Al. Also a lot of rare ISDT pics. Dave

Paul Danik

Larry,

Just came across the July of 2000 Cycle World in which the 10 best bikes of 2000 were selected, as well as the 10 best bikes from the millennium before. They selected the best of 10 different categories, MX, Enduro, Dual-Purpose. ect.  The 175 Penton Jackpiner was selected as the BEST Enduro Bike from the millennium before the year 2000, the KTM 520 EXC was selected as the best Enduro Bike of 2000.

Might not be what you were looking for, but interesting none the less.

Paul

larrym

Thanks everyone for the effort. Paul, the best enduro bike prior to the year 2000. Jackie might be interested in that for his Trailer Project. That's why I was looking for the Cycle World article and award.