$6,600 plus Mudlark is baaack.....

Started by Dale Fisher, December 03, 2013, 06:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianTaylor

Gordon ( or anyone ) could you pls post a clear zoomed in picture of the " Doug Wilford " rebuild decal ....  And a question ... Did this decal go on all the motors he did and what was the location of it .. thks Brian T

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

I own a Penton 125 Wassell/Penton Vin # W735ST that has less then 50 miles on it. I'm looking at the title now Year 1976 Vin W735ST. Bike has never been apart, painted, it is like I took it from the box. Motor # 6774019 1251/5A. I think Paul helped me work on it once at vintage days. It will start and run but thats about it. Everthing is set right but will not run over 1/4 throttle. Even changed carb off my woodsman, still wount run. Anyway this is how it came from Penton other then tires. It has a decal on top of the tank "The Queens award to Industry 1973'  73 decal on a 76 bike??? Dale I sent you info on my two trials. Also pic's of this bike under Photos my Penton pics. I had the year wrong on the pic. Dave

Paul Danik

Hi Dave,

First thoughts are air cleaner obstruction or exhaust obstruction. Hope this helps.

Paul

Both ok and lot of compression. Points new, good spark, fual to carb, air in tires 12#???? Dave

Dennis Jones

Timing?

Dave that has to be one of the last ones, I know rumor is around 1,000 were built but I believe that includes Tyrans too. Out of all the ones I've had none had a serial number near that high.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

3putt

242 Dave,  After some thought, I'll take a stab for a fix.  Change your flywheel, the magnets may be weak and can't provide need at higher RPM.

Paul, In a magazine I have from UK "On Two Wheels" date approx 1978, there is an article with photos on the Wassell Program (author is Frank Glendinning).   Some interesting info in it advises there were 2 proto-type bikes built.  An MX model had a 125cc Puch engine, and the Trials model had the Bantam 175 engine.    The first production line run was 50 units made with the Bantam 175, and all were for Britain.   The article then advises they purchased Sachs engines (but does NOT say what model engine), and the real market was thought to be the US.   The first units were trials bikes, 700 were badged Penton for the US.  There were 50 for Canada and 250 for Britain, and I assume those had Wassell Badges.    Because Ted Wassell wished to deal in the US market, and the active MX market, they then purchased Sachs GS125 engines and produced approx 1000 units with a Tyran badge for a Mitsubishi contract.  The article then sums up saying the production lasted approx 4 years (1971-1975) with a total production of approx 2000 units total.      Nelson McCullough

Dale Fisher

Highest Wassel serial numer I have seen to date is W932 on a bike in the UK.

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

Gordon Brennan

Quotequote:Originally posted by BrianTaylor

Gordon ( or anyone ) could you pls post a clear zoomed in picture of the " Doug Wilford " rebuild decal ....  And a question ... Did this decal go on all the motors he did and what was the location of it .. thks Brian T

Brian Taylor

Here's Doug's decal Brian. I put mine on the left side cover, not the motor. I also have one that has never been applied, but want to keep it. Maybe Randy has some also.

[/URL][/img]

Gordon Brennan

To be honest, I'd rather have this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/301159706765?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
It has all the correct parts and motor. It's the perfect bike to restore. There's not much to these bikes and this one has it all, except the rear fender.

Lew Mayer

Fairly clean and complete. With good motor, too.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

BrianTaylor

Thks for posting Gordon.....Brian T

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

firstturn

Since I have had two calls from people who are trying to figure out which is right for a original Mudlark engine I will repost what Al said.  I have had Mudlarks with A (5 & 6 speed transmissions) and B engines that came that way from Penton.a  They were originally  received from Ted Wassell  WITH B ENGINES.  So I hope this helps.

"All the Wassel trials bikes came into the country with the Sachs 125-6B engines with the alloy barrels. The 6B engines were pulled and swapped out with the 5-A engines that were still coming in on the Penton bikes at the time.

For Trials Riding competition, the 5A engine is a better choice with the larger diameter crank and Bosch ignition - for low rpm riding.

Alan Buehner"

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Dale Fisher

I think it still had a couple of days left.

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired