Pentons at Steve McQueen Memorial

Started by clayman, July 02, 2002, 10:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clayman

There were four Pentons at the 17th annual Steve McQueen Memorial AHRMA Regional at Eugene, Oregon, on 6/30, and also two Monarks. George Fuller, Glen Finneran, Steve Talbott and Clay Light all were Penton-mounted. Dirk Williams and Scott Knauff were aboard Monarks.
Dirk Williams of Klamath Falls, Oregon, was the most successful, topping the Classic 125cc Novice class.
Race coverage (photos and text, written by your truly, Clay Light) will appear in Cycle News, issue #28.
As a journalist for 23 years, I still enjoy the vintage racing the most. I get to cover a lot of Supercross and Outdoor Nationals, but always have a blast at the vintage races!

Larry Perkins

Steve was a great guy and did alot for the sport.  I think he would have dug Vintage.

When I was a Senior in High School I lived in Austin, Texas and they were filming The Getaway in San Marcos about thirty miles away.  A friend of mine and I skipped a week of school and got jobs as extras.  We met Steve and he talked with us several times(put up with us pestering him) talking motorcycles and racing.  He even introduced us to Ali McGraw which made us drool.  I remember my voice cracking shaking her hand and saying, "Nice to meet you Miss McGraw."  Steve seemed very real even though he had found fame.  The experience made quite an impression on me.  It was something I tried to remember when I raced BMX and mountainbikes for several of the factories and people would want your autograph at the most inopportune times.  

I have a copy of The Getaway and in the only scene I ended up being in I can vaguely see myself across the street walking down the sidewalk. I am still a Steve McQueen fan and own also The Great Escape and of course Bullit.  

Wherever you are Steve you are missed by the young man inside me and the man I have become.

Tom Gougeon

Steve McQueen raced under an assumed name. The first name was Herman. Anyone remenber what the last name was?

rcrump1

Steve Talbott

Clay, you are right Pentons were represented very well at the Steve Mc Queen memorial, I know because I motored My 74' 250 to two holeshots and led both motos until age gave way to youth. Ha Ha those kids are tough to beat sometimes but that is why I am racing in th sportsman class. I want to beat the kids on the proven Penton. Steve Talbott #74

Steve Talbott
Steve Talbott