Mudlarks - Bonhams 1/9/14 Auction

Started by Dale Fisher, January 13, 2014, 10:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dale Fisher

Attached are links to two Mudlarks which were offered up at the recent Bonhams auction in Loss Wages.  Interesting to see a few things with them that go against the current registry evolution.  Note the second bike with lights sold for $4,370 including premium.

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/21389/lot/394/

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/21389/lot/390/

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

Dale Fisher

I also noted a Tyran and Wassell Bantam in the auction.

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/21389/lot/391/

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/21389/lot/392/

Dale Fisher

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'72 Mudlark - W257
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Mudlark Registry

firstturn

Dale,
  Thanks for posting these updates as I wanted to go LasVegas, Doctor appoints spoiled that trip.  Nice bikes and I see a lot of people interested in old trials bikes based on conversations with call I get?  I am just taking delivery of a super clean Suzuki RL Trials bike.  Been looking a long time as this bike had some flaws (they all do) that I wanted to avoid.  Thanks again Dale.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

gooddirt

I would think the he off on the year's of the bike's.[?]

firstturn

GoodDirt....they are off on the years, but that stuff was sold so long after they were built that people bought some of these bikes up until 1973.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Gordon Brennan

The second one is the way I got mine; with lights. I also notice both have the 5A iron barrel like mine.

The other things I notice: On the second one the front hub is facing the other direction.
Also interesting is the exhaust outlet. I have the same thing, except not chrome. Kevin D and I put it on mine to keep spooge off the rear shock and swingarm.

Lew Mayer

Gordon, I reversed my front wheel,as well, so the front brake cable routed more smoothly. Working better is nicer than looking accurate for competing.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Dale Fisher

Something just leads me to believe these were older restorations.  One of the more immediate obvious clues are the missing stickers.  None visible on the headstock, left downtube, side panel, etc.  Impossible to tell from the photo if the frame finish is the multi-colored stippled.  As the Mudlark registry builds (three new entries recently) it is interesting to see how the suggested years bounce around.  If the serial number is correct on Lot. 394 the earliest is now W233 and latest is W735.

Dale Fisher

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'72 Mudlark - W257
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Mudlark Registry

desmond197

The owner had a lot more money in these than what they sold for from what I understand. These bikes were on display at one of our Riding Into History shows

desmond197

New Restos and the Tryan had an EC Birt Pipe and Doug Willford restored motor

Dennis Jones

Very nice bikes.
On the first one the seat is an obvious repo (everyone I ever have redone ends up looking like this, no one can ever get them right) and the throttle and levers are wrong, I am not sure what the throttle is from but the levers are Amals like what would have came on Spanish bikes, much better but not correct, I always put them on my competition bikes.

The second one has a wrong front fender and choke lever. I have never saw a limp sausage tail light on a Wassell. That exhaust outlet is home brew, I've done them myself.

The 5A motors could be as sold new but not as manufactured. As Gordon pointed out the front wheel of the second is reversed and as Lew points out they work much better that way. How many bikes do you ever see with the brake backing plate or caliper on the right leg?

Unless they paid a fortune for the tanks there is no reason to have more in these bikes than what they sold for unless they just did not know better.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Dale Fisher

I guess if you really, really need a Wassell tank [V]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Wassell-Aluminum-Gas-Tank-BSA-Triumph-B50-TR5-TR6-Trails-AHRMA-Vintage-MX-/121237371803?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c3a4f7b9b&vxp=mtr

Dale Fisher

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'72 Mudlark - W257
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Mudlark Registry

gooddirt

I found some tyran or wassell tanks,  need to talk them into selling although . May need to pay $350 to 400 each if he were let them go, he was thinking.

iyaoyas

Dale-  

My Wassell tank is damaged beyond economical repair so I've been looking for a NOS or suitable replacement for quite some time now.  I've seen the Wassell tank you referenced on ebay but is it considered the correct configuration for a Penton? I'm desperate but at that price I can wait a little longer...

The tank on ebay appears to be missing the two boss's welded forward of the frame mounting through hole.  It also looks much wider from a top view perspective.  I suppose it would work so long as the frame mounting point and tank length are correct.  Just looking for advice as this tank profile may be a viable option (at the right price) if I see one like it in the future.

-Stephen Markley

gooddirt

Sell you my very nice tank for six.